A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Ist post here, Should I jump in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only complaint with my A6 is the seats. I miss the comfort seats of the BMW 7. They are my favorite seats. Audi offers it in the A8. I had poor service with my BMW, but good luck with the Audi. My next car may be an A8.

I've had no problems with the A6'
Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a Lexus - a high bar - you won't be disappointed. We had an ES350 years ago (no complaints), and my folks have had numerous ones over the years - great cars with unmatched reliability. The good news is that overall, the Germans have closed much of that reliability gap.

I've had my A7 since November, my fourth over the years. Came off an A6 less than a year old: the A6 beat out the 5 series IMO. When our dealer had us test drive an A7 on a lark last summer we were smitten with the car and got a surprisingly good trade-in on the A6, which made it possible.

We love the car and it's a real pleasure to get into it every day. Are there a few things that could be improved upon? Sure, but to paraphrase the old Sinatra song about regrets, "too few to mention". And it's true, we tend to be picky on this forum - use that to your advantage to have a mental checklist of what to look for beyond the first 30 minutes of a test drive. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Love just about everything about the car. Sexy, fast, good handling, great technology.

Hate the seats...make sure you take a long test drive in them. My lower back kills after only 30 min or so..none of my other cars do this to me. Had a 2012 Q5 with the same problem, basically the same seats, traded it in for the A7. Huge difference between vehicles, glad I did it, but the back issue remains. There is just nothing really comfortable about the seats. They are well made but stiff...not a seat you slide into and go "Oh yeah". You just get in and go "oh".
P.S. I forgot to mention I have the "upgraded" ventilated seats that come in the Prestige line. Slightly better than the ones found in Premium and Premium Plus.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

A bunch of nit-noid issues here- Check engine light off/on, MMI freeze up and Night Vision & HUD malfunctions. Not really reliability issues, per se, but still quite frustrating nonetheless… The brakes are squishy and noisy; they actually feel cheap IMO. I love the car, but I don’t think there’s a lot of “value” built into the design – That is, the S7 is only about $5K more than a “comparably” equipped A7, but you get SO much more in the S – features I feel should be standard on a $70K + vehicle (Soft close doors, adjustable air suspension, corner cameras, etc.). That being said, it may be worth waiting on the S, depending on your budget. I paid approx $73K for the works, sans the B & O – Whereas $78K will get you an S w/ nearly all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My brakes are strong and quiet. MMI has been perfect since last year. The door sill LED has gone out on the rear left passenger door and recently driver's door. Not a big deal. It's an easy swap from the dealer.

I love my A7.

Originally Posted by raslam77
A bunch of nit-noid issues here- Check engine light off/on, MMI freeze up and Night Vision & HUD malfunctions. Not really reliability issues, per se, but still quite frustrating nonetheless… The brakes are squishy and noisy; they actually feel cheap IMO. I love the car, but I don’t think there’s a lot of “value” built into the design – That is, the S7 is only about $5K more than a “comparably” equipped A7, but you get SO much more in the S – features I feel should be standard on a $70K + vehicle (Soft close doors, adjustable air suspension, corner cameras, etc.). That being said, it may be worth waiting on the S, depending on your budget. I paid approx $73K for the works, sans the B & O – Whereas $78K will get you an S w/ nearly all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by carljones11
2) Lexus service is un-rivaled in the industry. Any other brand will not compare. The mirror I mentioned with my Audi was NOT repaired on the 1st. visit & they stated they would order another and call me when it came in. Did not call me back, I had to call them several weeks later to "remind them". Still waiting on the part, I think they forgot about me. This would not have happened at Lexus.

This is not really an Audi issue, it is a dealership/service center attitude problem. I had the same mirror gasket shredding issue. They asked me to drop in "anytime, at my convenience" so they can take a picture of the damaged gasket. I did that, it took 5 minutes for them to take a picture, I was offered coffee while they were doing that. I was told that they have to order the mirror assembly and will let me know when it is in. I got a call a week later that the part was in, ready, already painted to match my car and I can come in to get it installed. When I did, a loaner car was waiting for me. I am lucky to deal with a very high class, reliable and trustworthy dealership.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
My brakes are strong and quiet. MMI has been perfect since last year.
That is so wonderful for YOU, but I do believe the OP stated, "what irritates you the most..." I'm glad you love your A7.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Pointless argument.

Originally Posted by raslam77
That is so wonderful for YOU, but I do believe the OP stated, "what irritates you the most..." I'm glad you love your A7.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I want to thank everyone for taking their time replying to my post as you guys have been very informative and instrumental in my decision making process. Very sorry about the uncomfortable seating some have and hope there is a solution for your needs. BMW has an option called "Comfort Seats" which I have and is worth every penny. I noticed the S7 has a similar option that holds my interest. Of course while exploring the S7 my wife says "that's the one I want" but it is an extra fifteen thousand equipped ( out to my backyard to shake that magic tree). There are two Audi dealers within range and will visit one tomorrow to check out behind the sales counter to see what I am in for. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
This is not really an Audi issue, it is a dealership/service center attitude problem. I had the same mirror gasket shredding issue. They asked me to drop in "anytime, at my convenience" so they can take a picture of the damaged gasket. I did that, it took 5 minutes for them to take a picture, I was offered coffee while they were doing that. I was told that they have to order the mirror assembly and will let me know when it is in. I got a call a week later that the part was in, ready, already painted to match my car and I can come in to get it installed. When I did, a loaner car was waiting for me. I am lucky to deal with a very high class, reliable and trustworthy dealership.
As far as I'm concerned it IS an Audi issue. It's their dealer/service. My point was Lexus service was impeccable for me (just as advertised). My service experience with Audi (so far) ..not so much. AND Lexus coffee is better I'm glad you have been satisfied/lucky with yours. Hopefully my experience will improve.

Quick Reply: Ist post here, Should I jump in?