A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Lane assist retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsnap
So I finally completed this mod this week. I have a 2012 A7 with the Prestige and Technology packages, which gives me ACC and the HUD.

I bought the new control unit for about $350 and had an independent shop install it for $150. The airbag scared me a bit and my dealer wouldn't do it.

The reprogramming worked flawlessly. One catch for me was making sure the car was ON but not RUNNING. You'll get en error when coding if the engine is running.

As far as the HUD, I tried following the directions here. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24745684 but I was not able to change any of the Adaptions. It turns out they weren't needed. I just went to the HUD Module and went to Byte 0, Bit 2 and checked it and that made it work.

The system works great. The wheel just doesn't vibrate, it actually nudges the car back toward the center of the lane.

I appreciate all the helpful posts by people on this and was glad to add this feature to the car.
Please post the part number of the new control unit for the benefit of those who would like to do the same retrofit.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Please post the part number of the new control unit for the benefit of those who would like to do the same retrofit.
Varies by vehicle year, model and manufacturing date. I wouldn't rely on a single part number.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsnap
So I finally completed this mod this week. I have a 2012 A7 with the Prestige and Technology packages, which gives me ACC and the HUD.

I bought the new control unit for about $350 and had an independent shop install it for $150. The airbag scared me a bit and my dealer wouldn't do it.

The reprogramming worked flawlessly. One catch for me was making sure the car was ON but not RUNNING. You'll get en error when coding if the engine is running.

As far as the HUD, I tried following the directions here. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24745684 but I was not able to change any of the Adaptions. It turns out they weren't needed. I just went to the HUD Module and went to Byte 0, Bit 2 and checked it and that made it work.

The system works great. The wheel just doesn't vibrate, it actually nudges the car back toward the center of the lane.

I appreciate all the helpful posts by people on this and was glad to add this feature to the car.
Would you be able to tell me what hardware you purchased for this? I have a 2012 A7 as well with Prestige, HUD, ACC, etc. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samsoccer7
Would you be able to tell me what hardware you purchased for this? I have a 2012 A7 as well with Prestige, HUD, ACC, etc. Thanks!
I purchased 4G8-953-502-P-4PK Multi-Function Switch but you really need to be read carefully because there are about four different similar parts.

Good luck!