A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Lane assist retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
If you have side assist and ACC installed on your A7, it is possible to activate the lane assist option. No reference here to any other option!

Since a button on the end of the indicator lever needs to be pushed to start and stop the function, the indicator lever assembly has to be replaced with the European part 4G8953502P 4PK (about EUR 166) that contains the button.

The coding also needs to be modified using Vagcom.

We are still waiting for the following information:

1. Does the car contain the wiring and connector that the wires from the button on the new stick plug into or do we have to add some wiring?

2. Coding information.

Until we get further info on the above, there is no way to tell how easy or difficult the conversion is.
Patience, please. I got it to work with a lot of trial and error and by comparing vagcom scans. Right now, there's no simple "do this and click here" way to activate lane assist. We are trying to figure out a couple of things before posting instructions.

The new lever will just plug and play with the steering column - no new wiring needed.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cbb09
Patience, please. I got it to work with a lot of trial and error and by comparing vagcom scans. Right now, there's no simple "do this and click here" way to activate lane assist. We are trying to figure out a couple of things before posting instructions.

The new lever will just plug and play with the steering column - no new wiring needed.
Good job, very exciting news.

Just ordered a vagcom.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iewsemaj
Good job, very exciting news.

Just ordered a vagcom.
I do lots of freeway driving, and absolutely love the ACC. The lane assist will be icing on the cake for me. I think it is now time for me to place an order for a decent vagcom. I don't plan to do extensive coding or analysis with the vagcom, but one that is good enough to perform this task ... any suggestion on which version & where to get one?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

This is an interesting thread only because I'm trying to figure out why Audi would equip a car with all of the lane assist parts (including the ability to vibrate the steering wheel) if lane assist wasn't ordered. Having side assist and ACC doesn't require a vibrating steering wheel (which is the warning result when lane assist is activated and one wanders near or over a lane marking).

I'll be surprised if a new stalk and some coding information is all that's needed to "turn on" this option.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
This is an interesting thread only because I'm trying to figure out why Audi would equip a car with all of the lane assist parts (including the ability to vibrate the steering wheel) if lane assist wasn't ordered. Having side assist and ACC doesn't require a vibrating steering wheel (which is the warning result when lane assist is activated and one wanders near or over a lane marking).

I'll be surprised if a new stalk and some coding information is all that's needed to "turn on" this option.
There is no special additional component to vibrate the steering wheel. It is an electromechanical steering system on its own. All the lane assist does is getting visual information from a camera (which is already installed for the ACC function) and sends pulses to the electromechanical steering system (which also exists). The only physical component to be added is the pushbutton to activate the lane assist function. The software also exist in the car, just needs to be turned on (Vagcom activation).
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no special additional component to vibrate the steering wheel. It is an electromechanical steering system on its own. All the lane assist does is getting visual information from a camera (which is already installed for the ACC function) and sends pulses to the electromechanical steering system (which also exists). The only physical component to be added is the pushbutton to activate the lane assist function. The software also exist in the car, just needs to be turned on (Vagcom activation).
Great! I'm looking forward to reading an update where this activation (including the stalk installation) is a success. Makes one wonder what other "hidden" features are in our cars waiting to be discovered!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

The stalk will be included with Inovation in US 2012 A7s manufactured beginning in June (build week 22). Hopefully, we could order a US part# soon after.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jfourman
... and do the other things (add Google Street View and Internet Radio), "

Let us know if you have any insight into activating this!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by weth
Let us know if you have any insight into activating this!
No insight. These features are to be included in an MMI software update.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jfourman
No insight. These features are to be included in an MMI software update.
Promise?

Quick Reply: Lane assist retrofit