A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonro
I just bought a new A7, so I still have some time to figure out an alternative to the pricey T-Mobile plan. I have an iPhone and with AT&T's new shared data plan, I could probably add the A7 for $10/month. Ii like to keep Google Maps on while driving and I don't know how much data that uses. It probably doesn't use much when I stay in my local area.

I wish that Audi would add a car locator feature like Mercedes' Mbrace.
I think I read that with an AT&T sim, you would only get 2G, not 3G. That would be painfully slow for Google map downloads.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru Phone Reality

I just completed a road trip to Boston of ~ 360 miles each way. I only used Google while around town in Boston & part of the way back home. The charge...$35. If you plan to use Google Earth alot stick with T Mobile. Tru Phone isn't cheaper, it's just convenient for spot users.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way Verizon and AT&T came with data shared planes for smartphones, ipads etc so I really doubt you can use the verizons sim card because it is a complete different tecnology vs Tmobile and AT&T but if you have AT&T you can ask them to share your plan with your "ipad" and use that sim card (at 2g) with your car for 10 dlls per month vs 30 dlls tmobile audi connect 3g service, and the google maps will not kill you with overage, just a thought
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's something. I use a TruSim and only push in when I need updated maps for trips. Last trip was late June. I noticed that when using navigation in town the maps now are fuzzy/blurred when zooming in. I pushed the sim in and let the maps update. The streets are now in focus.

So if you don't update the maps occasionally, the maps blur.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone purchased the T-Mobile wifi hotspot device and use the sim card from that in their cars? I need the mobile wifi once in a while - usually while at a hotel, and swapping the sim card back and forth would be great - if it worked.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by briboynyc
If you want the cheapest option go with Simple Mobile. They have a 750mb monthly data plan for only $25 and there is no 2 yr contract like with tmobile. So you can pay month to month and if the price drops or you change your mind you just cancel your service. Simple Mobile uses Tmobile's network so you will get 3G service:

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/plans-...and-plans.aspx
I got a Simple Mobile SIM today but haven't had any success getting it to work with Audi Connect. I used auto-configure and it just filled in the tmobile APN. I manually changed the APN to "simple" and still no luck. Wondering if it wants a fully qualified domain name but haven't found one yet. Anyone else get Simple Mobile to work with Adobe Connect?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by swassbac
I got a Simple Mobile SIM today but haven't had any success getting it to work with Audi Connect. I used auto-configure and it just filled in the tmobile APN. I manually changed the APN to "simple" and still no luck. Wondering if it wants a fully qualified domain name but haven't found one yet. Anyone else get Simple Mobile to work with Adobe Connect?
As a follow-up, I did get it working yesterday. I wound up putting the data connection in an unlocked AT&T phone. I got it configured, accessed a few pages. Then when I put it back in the Audi Connect, it just started working? Still works today so not sure why I couldn't get it going.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by swassbac
As a follow-up, I did get it working yesterday. I wound up putting the data connection in an unlocked AT&T phone. I got it configured, accessed a few pages. Then when I put it back in the Audi Connect, it just started working? Still works today so not sure why I couldn't get it going.
I thought Simple is 4G? Does it work for 3G in the car? $25/mo?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cheybey
I thought Simple is 4G? Does it work for 3G in the car? $25/mo?
It does work 3G - can't notice any difference from t-mobile I was using before. I believe it is the same exact network since they are just a virtual provider on t-mobile. I ordered a micro-sim to sim converter and plan on swapping to the microsim so I can pull it from the car and put it in my iPad when I need 3g. I am paying $25/month - no contract.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Reducing TruSim Data Usage!

My wife is a Realtor and finds it really convenient to enter the list of home address she'll be showing via www.GoogleMaps.com on her office PC and uploading that list to the Q5 via our AudiConnect account. However that process requires we keep the Audi Connect service working after the free trial is over and $30/month isn't reasonable - so I'm going to try the Tru Sim option in my new Q5.

I see other posters have indicated periodic data drains/usage when Google maps need updating. Can I prevent that by just keeping the NAV system set to display "Standard Maps" (i.e. not the enhanced Google satellite imagery)?

Quick Reply: Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect