A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

My custom subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Steve
Very nice job! This is a mod I would seriouly consider doing. did you say you have the Bose system in your A7?
Thanks! Yes, I have the Bose system. The sub upgrade really makes a huge difference in sound quality lol.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am the guy that built this unit for Comson. And I see some interest in subwoofer options for the A7/S7 and I fully understand why. Heck the B&O in my S4 blows it away. The "cubby" hole option due to installation and wiring wouldn't be something I could do without your car present. However the idea of modifying and upgrading the factory unit in the trunk floor is a strong possibility. If any one wants to be the guinea pig I'd be willing to try and work something out. I belive with the right components it may be able exceed the performance of the side pocket mounted one. A cheap upgrade would be around $350, higher end would be closer to $500.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen quite a few custom sub enclosures squeezed into all sorts of places and they looked beautiful and I am sure they sounded just as good as they looked. I must say though, I prefer the route you took on your LEASED Audi. It looks clean, I assume it sounds great and as you said when it is time to turn the car in you just unplug a few wires, un-screw a few screws and you are done. I have always been a fan of a "quick getaway"
Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jake-AudiUSAParts
I have seen quite a few custom sub enclosures squeezed into all sorts of places and they looked beautiful and I am sure they sounded just as good as they looked. I must say though, I prefer the route you took on your LEASED Audi. It looks clean, I assume it sounds great and as you said when it is time to turn the car in you just unplug a few wires, un-screw a few screws and you are done. I have always been a fan of a "quick getaway"
What? This car isn't leased, and it was a custom build...
Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Petrol4blood
...the idea of modifying and upgrading the factory unit in the trunk floor is a strong possibility.
I'm curious as to why upgrading the factory unit is preferred over the cubby hole design?

One of the major issues with this sub is that it is buried in the "trunk" with a lid over it. Now I know bass frequencies, especially those reproduced from a sub, are non directional but the sheer fact that the bass is colored by a dirt cheap sub, placed in a "cavern" and to top it off covered with a lid, the sub bass response in this car didn't stand a chance.

I know some people love real "shake the intestines", super low end farty sub response, especially when listening to rap or hip hop. I'm not one of these people. I want my sub to punctuate a very tight bass and kick drum sound for classic/hard rock/punk music such as AC/DC, Rancid, Foo Fighters, The Rolling Stones etc. A bass response that basically kicks you in the head, not in the gut. It's for that reason I'll be looking for a sub solution in the cubby hole, "above ground" and not shoved in the bowels of my A7.

I'm a 25+ year audio engineer professional. I mix audio for tv, radio, internet and cinema. I often mix 5.1 surround and would NEVER consider having my sub placed anywhere that would require it to be placed beneath a floor and covered over. Systems such as those at home or in a cinema don't have their subs under a floor and covered over, so I'm not so sure why I'd want that in my A7. Granted a sub can be placed virtually anywhere in the soundstage, but not BENEATH it!

Anyway, if you feel you'd like to make more cubby enclosures like you did for Comson, then I'd be one of the first in line. Not so sure no matter the upgrade that an upgrade to the current sub in it's present location is going to give me the tight bass I'm looking for.

Where are you located btw?

Last edited by tridentnyc; 04-20-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the Bose system. I disconnected the existing Bose sub and added this one in the passenger side cubby hole.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jjA7; 04-20-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I'm a 25+ year audio engineer professional. I mix audio for tv, radio, internet and cinema. I often mix 5.1 surround and would NEVER consider having my sub placed anywhere that would require it to be placed beneath a floor and covered over. Systems such as those at home or in a cinema don't have their subs under a floor and covered over, so I'm not so sure why I'd want that in my A7. Granted a sub can be placed virtually anywhere in the soundstage, but not BENEATH it!
That's not really true--infinite baffle arrays / setups will certainly be covered and setup well below floor level (or in the attic). The same can be accomplished in a car with the subwoofer tucked somewhere out of the way and vented into the cabin (or may not be needed). The most insane sound I'd ever heard was in a friend's accord--he has 4 8's in a trunk box that vented into the cabin through the deck. I was sure I had a concussion when I got out.

Personally, I think the cubby is the most viable and un-intrusive option for this car. The one I built is just pressure fit into the cubby and has responsive as you described. Tight and punchy and quite a bit louder than the bose.

I might still take a mould of the spare tire area/bose subwoofer and see if anything can be done with it that still has good response. I'll have to find another place for the amp--or a smaller amp (maybe an HD JL digital amp)...

my two cents.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Petrol4blood
What? This car isn't leased, and it was a custom build...
6 condescending posts.. this troll is a little lippy!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjA7
I have the Bose system. I disconnected the existing Bose sub and added this one in the passenger side cubby hole.
JJA7,

I am WELL aware of your sub upgrade, clearly the best looking one aesthetically I've seen on this forum, just looks great!

A few questions:

1. Was that sub a shallow mount sub?

2. Did you get the Audi five rings and A7 badges from a dealer or elsewhere?

3. How did you come to the decision to add the port to your enclosure? Was there some listening trials that helped you come to that conclusion?

4. Are you using a crossover in your setup?

5. How close did the installer get the color of the fabric to match the color of the carpeting in your A7? Looks pretty damn close from the pic.

Thanks and again, that install just looks awesome. I did a search earlier tonight to find it again as I'm definitely going to use your pic as reference!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jayhawk785
That's not really true--infinite baffle arrays / setups will certainly be covered and setup well below floor level (or in the attic).
Jayhawk785,

Thanks for your informative reply. I have limited experience/knowledge with IB's but what I do know is that they are generally employed for a sub bass response that is more akin to a bone crushing percussive response, rather than the tighter more "musical" bass response I am looking for in my upgrade.

Thanks again for the clarification, you are certainly correct in pointing that out about IB's. One of the reason's I love this forum, I learn constantly...and not just about Audi's. I obviously just got schooled!

Quick Reply: My custom subwoofer