A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Rotor and pad recommendations 2015 A7

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor and pad recommendations 2015 A7

What manufacturer of rotors and pads do you guys recommend. Honestly was not unhappy with stock rotors and pads with 45k on them. Brake dust was not an issue with stock rotors and pads and 45k is really good IMO. Brake fade was an issue so if there would be any improvement I would want with new rotors and pads it would be that. A couple of hard breaks and man it was like you had 60 percent of the braking power. Normal use......no issues.

Sticking with OEM rotors and pads is an option if the price would be fair, but its not. Thanks

a7 prestige 20 inch rims
Old 01-27-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

On our Q7 I did OEM pads the first change. Buit on the second change I used Centric semi metallic pads and Centric rotors. I have been very happy with them. They are about 15,000 miles in now. Performance has been at least as good as OEM. A bit less dust.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Akebono Euro Premium Ceramic pads with the centric rotors available on Tire Rack have served me well on the A6 and A7. Almost zero brake dust and no issues whatsoever.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008A6
Akebono Euro Premium Ceramic pads with the centric rotors available on Tire Rack have served me well on the A6 and A7. Almost zero brake dust and no issues whatsoever.
When you installed the Akebono ceramics did you notice ANY decrease in initial bite (friction coefficient) relative to the OEM semi metallic pads?I tried a set of Hawk Performance Ceramics several years ago and did not keep them mounted because they required more pedal pressure.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
When you installed the Akebono ceramics did you notice ANY decrease in initial bite (friction coefficient) relative to the OEM semi metallic pads?I tried a set of Hawk Performance Ceramics several years ago and did not keep them mounted because they required more pedal pressure.
I honestly don’t recall ever feeling a difference, but it’s been a while since install and I didn’t spend much time with the OEMs on both cars since they were CPO cars.I would go with the Akebono again and again on these cars, and the lack of brake dust and no squeaking is a great bonus.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 2008A6
I honestly don’t recall ever feeling a difference, but it’s been a while since install and I didn’t spend much time with the OEMs on both cars since they were CPO cars.I would go with the Akebono again and again on these cars, and the lack of brake dust and no squeaking is a great bonus.
Thank you for the feedback.....any issues with brake fade? Is that that rotor bad set up or would the decrease with braided brake lines? Assume its heat from pads/ rotors but not sure.....
Old 01-28-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
On our Q7 I did OEM pads the first change. Buit on the second change I used Centric semi metallic pads and Centric rotors. I have been very happy with them. They are about 15,000 miles in now. Performance has been at least as good as OEM. A bit less dust.
Thank you for the feedback.....any issues with brake fade? Is that that rotor bad set up or would the decrease with braided brake lines? Assume its heat from pads/ rotors but not sure.....
Old 01-28-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwingiles1
What manufacturer of rotors and pads do you guys recommend. Honestly was not unhappy with stock rotors and pads with 45k on them. Brake dust was not an issue with stock rotors and pads and 45k is really good IMO. Brake fade was an issue so if there would be any improvement I would want with new rotors and pads it would be that. A couple of hard breaks and man it was like you had 60 percent of the braking power. Normal use......no issues.

Sticking with OEM rotors and pads is an option if the price would be fair, but its not. Thanks

a7 prestige 20 inch rims
Stock rotors and pads suck on Audi. Always have. Perhaps better on an RS, but the A models have crummy pads and rotors. They are lcd components, mAde for the lowest common denominator of drivers. Housewifes, Lexus drivers. High initial grab and then fade, dust and pad compounds lead to transfer to the rotors, simulating warping. Plus the iron is relatively soft. If you love driving your 7, stay away from Oem Audi pads. From many years of Audi work and from what I have read, Akebono Euro pads are the most used replacement pads. I have used them for years and put them on my A7. The combination of the pads and Stoptech performance rotors has been dramatic. The precision of the braking now matches the handling and performance. The only “downside” to Ake and Stoptech is that they need a touch of warming, they will not stop on a dime, with the pressure of one toe, when the car is dead cold. Not the warming of a race pad, but they do not have the obnoxious initial bite of OEM. And i am thrilled. What you get in exchage is a pad that is consistent, does not fade easily, and gives predicable performance. It also handles Colorado mountain descents in style. IIRC, Stoptech and Centric are the same company. Centric is the parent, I think. The performance stuff is great value. And works flawlessly. I have used four sets on different full size Audis in the past few years. As for Ake, There are higher performance pads out there. I used to use the them in my youth. I dont need that level of performance or lengthy warm up. At my age and driving style. Every time in my A7, I am thrilled i threw out the oem pads and rotors at 10k. One last point, oem pads and rotors are very very very prone to pad material transfer bonding to the rotors. Zimmermann has a great article explaining it. It feels just like a warped disk and just as un-drive able. From my decades of experience and reading many many forums, non-oem pads and rotors, like Ake, Stoptech, Zimmermann, Centric, DO NOT appear to have issues with the pad material transfer/warping issues of oem.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree stock rotors and brakes are crap. I have adams slotted and dimpled rotors and akebono euro ceramic pads for the past year and they are super amazing. Smooth braking and better bite than stock with no fade or vibration from warped rotors or dusting. I highly recommend them. Adams rotors are extremely durable and has high quality.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwingiles1
Akebono are virtually fadeless compared to oem. You are correct, its the pad and rotors. I have never seen a street driven car benefit from SS brake lines, unless the rubber oem lines were so old as to be balloning. They are a gimmick. Note that many companies make an oem equivalent pad that is just as soft and jerky and dirty as pagid made audi pads, such as Textar, TRW, Ferodo.

Quick Reply: Rotor and pad recommendations 2015 A7