A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

UN-Illuminated door sills

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UN-Illuminated door sills

Two of the four door sills are off, I want to avoid the dealer because of my GIAC tune, could be something as stupid as a blown fuse? Anybody has a clue?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Could be a fuse.

Are both of the sills on the same side?
Did they both go out at the same time?
Was there any work done where wires were disturbed?
Any VAG COM stuff recently?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Could be a fuse.

Are both of the sills on the same side?
Did they both go out at the same time?
Was there any work done where wires were disturbed?
Any VAG COM stuff recently?
Front right and rear left
I have no idea if they went out at the same time, I let a friend drove my car and I noticed the front right was off I checked the others and I found the rear left off as well.
No wire work
Vag com mods months ago,but what has to do with it?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by feralc
Front right and rear left
That rules out a fuse or a broken wire. They should be on a parallel circuit so if one side has a open circuit, they both go out. That is unless there is a separate feed to each sill.

I have no idea if they went out at the same time, I let a friend drove my car and I noticed the front right was off I checked the others and I found the rear left off as well.
Understandable

No wire work

Vag com mods months ago,but what has to do with it?
Almost everything electrical is supported by the VAG com. If there was some recent work, it might have shut them off without you knowing it.

You could try finding out where they plug into the wiring harness. Should be close by behind one of the trim panels. You can check for power at the connector and jumper power to the lamps to see if they work.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Almost everything electrical is supported by the VAG com. If there was some recent work, it might have shut them off without you knowing it.

You could try finding out where they plug into the wiring harness. Should be close by behind one of the trim panels. You can check for power at the connector and jumper power to the lamps to see if they work.
But do you think the VAG COM will have a setup for turning the sills off independently?, I would imagine an off/on option for all of them (if there is any)

I do not consider myself a good electrical technician, replacing fuses easy but checking for power or jumping power to lamps is out of my league.

I will see if somebody has had the same problem and how the dealer fixed it, otherwise I will just bring it to the dealer and tell them not to hook the car to the computer.
I have the power steering update due and doing that could possibly flag my car with a TD1, so I will tell them not to perform the update.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You could take it to a quality independent shop for diagnosis. They don't care if it's modified.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

But do you think the VAG COM will have a setup for turning the sills off independently?, I would imagine an off/on option for all of them (if there is any)

I do not consider myself a good electrical technician, replacing fuses easy but checking for power or jumping power to lamps is out of my league.

I will see if somebody has had the same problem and how the dealer fixed it, otherwise I will just bring it to the dealer and tell them not to hook the car to the computer.
I have the power steering update due and doing that could possibly flag my car with a TD1, so I will tell them not to perform the update.
Go to manual andchect to see which fuses are for the led door sills. unfortunately, if its not the fuses, you might have to take it to the dealer, by the way how is the chip performance on the A7.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevial
Go to manual andchect to see which fuses are for the led door sills. unfortunately, if its not the fuses, you might have to take it to the dealer, by the way how is the chip performance on the A7.
No fuses listed in the manual, I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
The chip is amazing, my car has around 450 hp right now (at 20% Drivetrain loss) with the chip and the exhaust combined.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

No fuses listed in the manual, I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
The chip is amazing, my car has around 450 hp right now (at 20% Drivetrain loss) with the chip and the exhaust combined.
Damnnnn, that sounds sweet, too bad it brands the warranty
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This is a known warranty issue. Both of my driver's side and left passenger have gone half out. I just haven't had a chance to bring the car for replacements....

Quick Reply: UN-Illuminated door sills