What kind of oil in the 2012 Audi A7 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A7 / S7 / RS 7 > A7
Reload this Page > What kind of oil in the 2012 Audi A7
Notices
A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

What kind of oil in the 2012 Audi A7

Reply

 
 
Old 11-15-2012, 07:01 AM
  #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
Default What kind of oil in the 2012 Audi A7

My Audi is telling me I need to add a quart of oil. It's only got 9000 miles, so I think that's weird, but whatever...

Does anyone know what kind of oil this thing is stocked with? I'd prefer to put something similar in.
davidu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM
  #2
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 59
Default

Originally Posted by davidu View Post
My Audi is telling me I need to add a quart of oil. It's only got 9000 miles, so I think that's weird, but whatever...

Does anyone know what kind of oil this thing is stocked with? I'd prefer to put something similar in.
i just got the 25000 mile servive and on my service invoice it said castrol syntec 5w40 i believe.
adding a quart of oil at 9000 miles is within what audi calls normal consumption. i believe 1 quart every 1200 miles is within spec(don't quote me on that), but 1 quart every 9k isn't bad at all and the 3.0tfsi engine is known to consume a bit of oil, even if you were to go to the dealer they would tell you it is within spec. if you start consuming drastically more i know there is a TSB about changing out the PCV which involves taking off the supercharger and audi won't do it unless oil consumption is greater than what they consider normal, and before they do it they'll prove to themselves that it does consume oil.
ray101381 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
  #3
AudiWorld Super User
 
tenspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Honeoye New York USA
Posts: 3,850
Default

Audiworld oil tech article

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html
tenspeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM
  #4
AudiWorld Super User
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 5,628
Default for USA cars:

Originally Posted by davidu View Post
Does anyone know what kind of oil this thing is stocked with?
Probably the oil used at the factory. Maybe Fuchs.

You'll always need an oil that meets VAG quality standard 502.00.

Maybe it's time to have the first oil change done??
uberwgn is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
  #5
Audiworld Basic Sponsor
 
ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,409
Default

Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
Probably the oil used at the factory. Maybe Fuchs.

You'll always need an oil that meets VAG quality standard 502.00.

Maybe it's time to have the first oil change done??
I would agree with this. Seams about ready for its first oil change. Not sure if you have Audi car or not but oil changes might even be covered under that.

Wouldn't hurt to give your dealership a call.

Jason
ECS Tuning-Audi is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 PM
  #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

This TSB has a list of all oils approved by Audi.
Attached Files
feralc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 PM
  #7
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6
Default

I am getting ready to get my first Oil Change in my A7 at 25k miles (I bought it with 16k on there) and I am wondering what you all are using for Oil? I know that the cap says to use Castrol....I have tried looking through a couple of Audi Pdfs that suggest oil types but to be honest I really don't know the difference between all the viscosities....

In my old car, I always used Mobile 1 Full Synthetic, but I am not sure what viscosity it was. I am planning to go to the dealer for at least my first Oil Change because the car feels new to me, eventhough I know they usually are much more expensive than independent shops, so I am sure they will recommend something, but just want to go in there with an idea of what to ask for.

Thanks for your advice!
A7Lani is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 PM
  #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
BasicSlvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 938
Default

Originally Posted by A7Lani View Post
I am getting ready to get my first Oil Change in my A7 at 25k miles (I bought it with 16k on there) and I am wondering what you all are using for Oil? I know that the cap says to use Castrol....I have tried looking through a couple of Audi Pdfs that suggest oil types but to be honest I really don't know the difference between all the viscosities....

In my old car, I always used Mobile 1 Full Synthetic, but I am not sure what viscosity it was. I am planning to go to the dealer for at least my first Oil Change because the car feels new to me, eventhough I know they usually are much more expensive than independent shops, so I am sure they will recommend something, but just want to go in there with an idea of what to ask for.

Thanks for your advice!
Synthetic 5W40 is the recommended viscosity for all temperature ranges. There is a detailed write up in the owners manual. I use Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec) which I believe most dealers use.
Attached Images
 
BasicSlvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:59 PM
  #9
AudiWorld Super User
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 5,628
Default

Originally Posted by A7Lani View Post

Thanks for your advice!
Any oil that carries the VAG 502.00 spec works. The VAG spec contains a minimum viscosity criteria so as long as it shows 502.00 on the bottle, you're good to go. It's very simple.

I think the most common oil is the Mobil, not Mobile, 1 0W40. Easily found at W*mart @ $25 for 5 qts.
uberwgn is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 PM
  #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Newklear84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Default Is that true for all VW Audi vehicles regardless of climate?

Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
Any oil that carries the VAG 502.00 spec works. The VAG spec contains a minimum viscosity criteria so as long as it shows 502.00 on the bottle, you're good to go. It's very simple.

I think the most common oil is the Mobil, not Mobile, 1 0W40. Easily found at W*mart @ $25 for 5 qts.
I am coming up for my first oil change and I am curious about the 0W-40 vs 5W-40/ Specifically, from a cost and availability prospective, it is easier and cheaper to get the 0W-40. I drive in south Louisiana and my concern is getting an oil with too low of a viscosity. I realize that at 100deg C the oil will perform about the same, but at cold starts (85deg F, typical Louisiana Morning) I worry that the 0 viscosity will be too low and may increase wear. For that reason, I will most likely use the more expensive 5W-40 because oil is always cheaper than engine damage. I would just like someone else's opinion. Also if an oil bottle has the VW502 00/505 00 does that automatically qualify it for use in every Audi. That is what I am not sure about. Any suggestion or opinions are welcome.
Newklear84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mjdQ5
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion
20
09-17-2015 04:32 AM
jared8783
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
15
09-09-2015 08:18 AM
QuickChange
Vehicles For Sale
1
09-04-2015 06:51 PM
Setyourgoal
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion
3
08-31-2015 09:20 AM
Janryk
A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion
0
08-30-2015 02:12 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:05 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: