A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2019 A6, A7, and A8 Electrical Failures

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2019 A6, A7, and A8 Electrical Failures

I picked up a used 2019 A7 Prestige and the next day (April 1st) while coming back from an appointment 7 miles away I had four electrically related failures in a very short time frame. The last error message was ominous so I was glad I was in my driveway when it happened. My first thought was that this was some sort of BMW "Easter egg" their engineers somehow got into Audi software since it was April Fools Day!

Alas, this is a known issue with the 2019 A6, A7, and A8 models. I've posted the error messages below so you know what came up. When the spoiler failure happened it automatically popped up. In addition to all these failures the AC was not working. So it seems to be a system wide issue. At least it's a warranty fix, with parts in stock (so they say). I'll let everyone know how this progresses.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That is terrible.. I hope you never see any of those electrical failures ever again.
The following users liked this post:
Texas1Hog (05-10-2023)
Old 04-06-2022, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

On Tuesday morning I got a text from the SA that the car has been diagnosed as needing a Gateway Control Module replacement. Parts are on order from Germany and will take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive. No loaners available until June. OK, I've seen this movie before!

Then later the same day the SA called me to let me know that an unclaimed GCM was allocated for my car and will arrive in country on Monday. The repair will be completed by the end of next week. We'll find out shortly if this resolves these issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by ajmilan:
kwshaw1 (04-16-2022), Texas1Hog (05-10-2023)
Old 04-07-2022, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, yesterday I got a text from the SA at Audi Nashville that the parts showed up early morning, the tech recognized them as being for my car, and started working on it right away. The car was finished last afternoon, and they delivered it to me at home. The work was not what I expected, however. They replaced the alternator, washer, gasket, and coolant. So far everything seems to be OK. I'll reply here if I run into any other issues.

Also note that the fuel tank float recall is on their radar.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

I had this exact problem with my 19 A6. Luckily for you, you were already home but mine randomly died while I was driving. Apparently there’s a issue with the alternator and their hydrid drive system. It’s a serious issue for these cars, especially when it’s a brand new car and your expecting a premium product. Not sure if others can relate to this issue or not.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (04-08-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrhandsbites
I had this exact problem with my 19 A6. Luckily for you, you were already home but mine randomly died while I was driving. Apparently there’s a issue with the alternator and their hydrid drive system. It’s a serious issue for these cars, especially when it’s a brand new car and your expecting a premium product. Not sure if others can relate to this issue or not.
Does anyone know if this is a repetitive issue, or does one failure/repair take care of this long term?
Old 05-18-2022, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

So just today I got the same Electrical System Malfunction..... Will bring it to the dealer hopefully this week....

I already fixed my Fuel Gauge sender a few months ago so hopefully this is purely an electrical... issue?
Old 05-19-2022, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

So today I thought seeing that it only disabled the Start/Stop system I could drive it for another day. I was wrong. Then the spoiler failed, AC filed, transmission.. And I had to tow it. A real problem...
Old 05-22-2022, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Steve0913 so your car died on you to while driving? I’m sorry you had to go through that as I too can relate. It took about 3 months for the dealer to receive the new alternator once they diagnosed the issue and it just sat at the dealer the whole time. It’s ridiculous a car of this level is experiencing these issues. A brand new Kia is more reliable than an Audi.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes that’s right.. I was in shock. I had a crazy time getting it in Neutral to get it towed. And I couldn’t even lock the doors when I left it at the night drop.

When they took a peek they said it may be a bad alternator to power the 48V mild hybrid system.

The car is great when it works. I don’t know how I feel about it once it reaches the warranty ending period…. Shouldn’t be like this!

If my part takes that long time I’m hoping for a loaner..

Quick Reply: 2019 A6, A7, and A8 Electrical Failures