1995 A8 4.2 quattro problems after 8 months storage - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

1995 A8 4.2 quattro problems after 8 months storage

Notices
A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

1995 A8 4.2 quattro problems after 8 months storage

Old 11-30-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 1995 A8 4.2 quattro problems after 8 months storage

I have bought an audi a8 that supposedly has been stored for 8 months because the people that owned the car liked it to much to sell it. But now the building they stored it in is no longer available and they had no place for it to go and it got up for sale. That is kind of the story i got(dont know if its true)
But the problems are that the car had a dead battery(wich is perfectly normal in 8 months) But after replacing the battery the car is having the transmission in limp mode, and when trying to connect to it it dosnt work. The engine ecu said something like no communication with tcu(dont know code nr anymore). Also the rev counter and speedo dont work, so this might also be on the same problem. According to the previous owner it was driving fine when they stored it, and that seems plausible because it was not too long after the yearly inspection.

So has anyone had something like this happen? Can this be caused by the dead battery?

Things i have tried: disconnect the tcu and reconnect. Connector didnt seem corroded and since it was dry stored there was no water in the box either. And i tryed resetting everything by auto scanning and reset, but it didnt change anything.

Other then the tcu and the cluster problem she runs fine and drives ok, but cant really tell how wel because limp mode probably means 3th gear only(atleast that is how it feels)
Old 12-01-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Try cleaning the cluster and ECU connections. Failing that, try disconnecting other major modules such as ABS. Sometimes one unrelated-sounding module will cause communication issues for the others. If you can do a full scan with VCDS and post the results that'd also be helpful.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Look for mouse-chewed wires or mouse ****-corroded connections?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have not done the vagcom scan yet because i didnt want to take the laptop with me, so i brought the launch with me wich in the past has shown exactly the same as the (original) vagcom we have. And it showed no communication with the tcu only. But once it arrives here ill try the vagcom and see if that manages to find some other things.
What i have been thinking about is that it might indeed have a controller that is faulty and that gets the canbus network all screwed up. I dont know if that is common on this model? And i have read on here that a lot of people say disconnect the abs module. Is the abs module 1 that fails often? Or is that just a random guess?