A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 audi a8L no power at fuel pump fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 audi a8L no power at fuel pump fuse

Hello all, some of you may remember my post in regard to my crank not reaching tdc in either direction. Well I have solved that issue which turned out to be bent valves.

Fast forward to today and I have the car completely back together, new gaskets, valves, the whole nine. The car pretty much started right up but ran rough. After turning the car back off I began to inspect the engine and noticed that I did not plug the air cleaner/filter box back in. After plugging the air cleaner in I attempted to start the car but it would not start, tried unplugging the air cleaner but still nothing.

I have spark but no fuel. The fuel pump relay is getting power and engaging but when I check the fuel pump fuse while having my wife crank the car I'm getting no power to the fuse.

I see no signs of broken or worn wires and the fuse reads good. Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Unplug at the pump connection and check for power there while cranking.

I seem to recall that if your pump is dead, you won't see full voltage at the fuse.

Another option is to remove the plastic cover from the Fuel Pump relay located under the passenger's feet, push the contact points closed with a folded matchbook cover or the like, turn the ignition switch to run and the pump should run continuously. If it doesn't run, remove the FP wiring plug in the trunk and test it for power with and without the relay closed. One of the 4 wires should be a switched hot. If it shows full voltage there with the relay closed and the key in run position then it is likely your pump is kaput.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 09-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank but no start

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
I seem to recall that if your pump is dead, you won't see full voltage at the fuse.

Another option is to remove the plastic cover from the Fuel Pump relay located under the passenger's feet, push the contact points closed with a folded matchbook cover or the like, turn the ignition switch to run and the pump should run continuously. If it doesn't run, remove the FP wiring plug in the trunk and test it for power with and without the relay closed. One of the 4 wires should be a switched hot. If it shows full voltage there with the relay closed and the key in run position then it is likely your pump is kaput.

so I’ve been having the same issue. I help the contacts on the relay closed and the fuel pump ran continuously, so that means the fuel pump is bad?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don’t think that’s right.

Originally Posted by Joshua Keith
I help the contacts on the relay closed and the fuel pump ran continuously, so that means the fuel pump is bad?
i don’t think that follows. The purpose of the relay is to make sure the fuel pump does not run unless the ignition is switched on. [The purpose of the fuse is to cut power to the pump if it is drawing too much (and hence a fire hazard).]. The fuel pump should run continuously when the relay is closed.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

The fuel pump should also not run unless the ECU sees the engine turning. Maybe there is a priming function, I am not sure, but generally the fuel pump won't run unless the ECU thinks fuel is needed.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrahm
The fuel pump should also not run unless the ECU sees the engine turning. Maybe there is a priming function, I am not sure, but generally the fuel pump won't run unless the ECU thinks fuel is needed.
I think that's right, but that "decision" comes before the fuel pump relay, not after, and works by triggering the relay signal. If you jumper the relay socket or take off the cover and manually close the relay contacts, the pump should run.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, if that's jumpered and there is power at the fuel pump fuse, the pump should run. I do not know however if you see power at the fuse with the key on, engine off or only with the system priming or engine turning. I guess I would suppose the fuse is always hot key-on and the relay signal comes from the ECU.

Last edited by jfrahm; 02-13-2020 at 05:27 AM.