A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Daily driver-NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you head over to a Mercedes-Benz or BMW forum? You might be amazed (in a bad way)
Old 06-22-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm sorry you get this impression from reading these posts but..

the majority of people only post when they have a complaint.

I have owned many Audi, Toyota, and a few other cars over my, almost, 40 years of driving. I can't say that my Audi models have been any worse than any other. However, they look good much longer than other cars and are a pleasure to drive four seasons.

As for a daily commute, why not? I had one A6 for three years and put 160,000Km on it in 'heavy' commute with no problems. The Audi cars which I have owned have never left me stranded due to any mechanical problems. One did have a flat tire but that happens to all cars!
Old 06-22-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Why don't you head over to a Mercedes-Benz or BMW forum? You might be amazed (in a bad way)

Something about German, agree!
Old 06-22-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Been using "exotic" Audis as daily drivers for 8 years

Don't really mind small problems and can live
with them, but the transmission stories are
horried.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Maybe someone is feeling the competition?

Or, maybe it is the fact that there is no competition? Given a vast supply of information carefully selected facts can be used to promote just about any impression one could imagine. As a cranky aside: makes me wonder why the liberal political playbook calls for intentional misrepresentation when none such is necessary - you don't have to misrepresent facts since you can count on most people not understanding them.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Yeah, there is something about German cars.

People that own German cars are generally more passionate about autos that those who don't. As for me, I'll take the conservative yet interesting styling, world class interiors, and value buying an A8 represents. I'll worry about mechanical problems when I have to.

You sound like you would be happy in nice LS430 or Acura RL. They are very dependable I have heard.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:54 PM

Default At the end of the day....

Problems or not you are driving an AUDI A8, that is what counts. You cannot find that anywhere else. There isnt anything special about a BMW or a Mercedes, everyone has them. The Audi has the perfect balance of luxury, quality and performance without having the "Flashly" mercedes look. Audi does not have to be flashly to compete, it is an Audi, enough said. Anyone that knows anything about fine automobiles knows how fine the car is, especially the flagship.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:29 PM

Default Re: At the end of the day....

You are not driving it if its in the shop, you
just own it.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Re: At the end of the day....

It wont be in the shop any more than a 740I or S Class. The A8 is virtually indestructable, usually the only repairs you will have are relatively little things, definately not uncommon things.

I had a semi slam into me at 70mph, I hit a concrete wall backwards at 65mph. The tow truck didnt show up, I tore off the bumper and drove the A8 home, 50 miles...60mph the whole way. It drove like nothing ever happened. That is the sign of a well made car.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Depends on your point of reference. High maintenance compared to Lexus. On par with Mercedes

As I said, the Lexus is a boring car, but I could
drive it to the AutoBahn and someone may have to
take the A8. I am getting just to many negative
opinions that the A8 is a maintenance nightmare,
similar to the Porsche 928, which I have owned (2)
I have talked to a local Audi dealer master technician, and his words were "high maintenance".
Maybe, if you are going to buy a new A8 it would
be great, but I am looking for a used unit and being "Audi Assured" means nothing when you are on
the side of the road at 2 in the morning, because a 3 buck seal let go. It
is the nicest looking and well engineered car
around, but I believe Audi failed in some very
basic areas of manufacturing. I really appreciate
everyones input on my post and this is one of the
greatest forums around. I am just not sure that this beautiful car is in my future. THANKS

Quick Reply: A8 Daily driver-NOT!