A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 to S8 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-1999, 02:02 PM
Dino

Default A8 to S8 Conversion

I just picked up an 98 A8 4.2 and I'm looking to update it to an S8 in terms of suspension and wheels/tires. Possibly engine improvements also. Can anyone direct me to an aftermarket source that can supply these upgrades.

Thanks,
Dino
NY USA
Old 10-23-1999, 06:39 PM
Steve S.

Default I know someone who just completed it....Jay Eisenlohr (sp?)

He was living in NorCal...but I think he is moving to Portland Oregon very soon. He has contacts in Germany....BTW, his wife drives a TT....and he is restoring an Audi S1 to full rally race trim.

I don't think he has to worry about money. Let me see if I can find his email address.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
00 S4 (jan?)
Old 10-23-1999, 07:56 PM
Dino

Default Thanks Steve!

Thanks Steve. Let me know. I've got some other info that Joe Hoppen in Florida might supply such parts, but I don't see a link for him on this web site.

Dino
Old 10-23-1999, 08:04 PM
bill mills

Default Re: A8 to S8 Conversion

Dino-
You can check this (A4.org) web site for resources. The Links section is full of them. If you know what you want and have the where with all to do it your-self these are fine. However, since you are asking for sources for these parts, I'm assuming this is not the case and you have not done this before. Sounds like you are contemplating spending some serious money here so you want to make sure you do this right. If you are not a member of a regional/local Audi club of some sort you may want to join one. Membership in one of these organizations can help you find contacts for people in your area who specialize in Audi performance upgrades and may also afford you discounts for parts and services. It should also put you in touch with people who have done what you are looking to do which can give you access to their opinion of the results.
Changing tires will make a big difference if you have the stock Good Year Eagle LS 16's but only if you go to a stiffer side wall or a lower profile tire/17" wheel both of which will make the ride stiffer or an even lower profile tire/18" wheel which will make the ride even stiffer yet (the A8's ride is pretty firm to begin with). I would start with a better tire and a bigger wheel (you would have to go to an 18" if you want to match the S8 spec) and see what that does for you before you do any suspension work which will invariably make the ride even stiffer again. Not to knock what you are shooting for but since you probably haven't driven an S8 you may find you don't really want to on a daily basis when it comes to suspension.

B.

PS I'm not sure where in NY you are (god help you if you're in the city and you do the 18" wheels and springs) but if it's anywhere you get significant snow fall, you should hang on to your 16" rims and use them for some good all season tires for the winter months.
Old 10-24-1999, 07:30 AM
Steve S.

Default Hoppen - http://www.hoppenmotorsports.com :-)

BTW, at first glance, I cannot find Jay's email. I know he is a quattro
club member, so you may convince Quattro Club Headquarters to
give you his number, or call him on your behalf. BTW, Jay is a nice
person that seems really helpful. He and his wife volunteered with me
in the Audi Corral at the Monterey Historic Races this summer.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
00 S4 (jan?)
Old 11-05-1999, 10:02 PM
Cameron

Default Vortrag Motorsports...

You should contact them. For awhile, when my father thought he needed four doors, he had an A6 4.2 on order and Vortrag noted they had access to all parts needed to do an S6 conversion. I bet they could do the same for an S8...