A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the A8 tranny same as the A6 4.2 (Tip.)tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the A8 tranny same as the A6 4.2 (Tip.)tranny?
Old 04-17-2003, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great question. I'll wander downstairs to the VAG-COM/Bentley laptop and see if I can tell easily

from a quick perusal of the A6 and A8 CD's.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From a quick look, the 3-letter tranny codes are totally different.

I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

PaulW recently visited the ZF plant in Chicagoland that does rebuilds, and knows a lot about the trannys in general, let's see what he has to say.

I'll take a closer look at the manuals in the AM, for now I'm fading. Night all!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: basically yes. they are both 5hp24a zf transmissions.

the audi 01l tranny is the zf 5hp24 family in the "a" guise inclusive of the transfer box, torsen et al.

torque converters are usually different due to differeing torque requirements for the motors, and there are a number of other detail changes.

hth,
dave
'01 s8
Old 04-18-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Effective final ratios vary ... don't plan on a match, danger danger.

This is probably why the 3-letter tranny codes are different, per JimR.

If you are planning on swapping an A8 tranny unit to a 4.2 A6, you have to be very careful. Do not take my word on the below info, make sure through your own research.

Some background -

The effective final drive of the 2000+ 4.2 A6 matches the effective final drive of the 97-99 A8's, but it will not match for a 2000 and above A8 or an S8.

I have no idea how the S6 Avant plays out.

Internal ratios are similar. As an aside, the basic transmission internal workings are the same for the high-torque MB and BMW five speed auto applications.

The effective final drive is a function of both the "final" ring and pinions and the intermediate gear set from the torsen. Interestingly, a manual transmission S4 or a manual transmission euro S8 doesn't have an intermediate gear set.

>>>> The intermediate gear set is the stumbling block. Auto transmission V8 Audi's rarely have the same ring and pinion in the front as they do in the back. Even more fun, the S8's are not close to having a "perfect" match from front to back, Audi probably used that as a tuning aid.

Once again - If you are planning on swapping an A8 tranny unit to a 4.2 A6, you have to be very careful.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: manual tranny's don't have a transfer case, so no intermediate gears
Old 04-18-2003, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: 3 different ratios

it is not as tricky as it sounds...

there are 3 ratios for the 01l transmissions: 30/11, 32/11 and 34/11 - irrespective of whether these are for an a6 or a8.

you will need to match this ratio with an appropriate ratio in the rear differential. there are 3 ratio sets on the rear: 35/9, 37/9 and 37/10.

the matches are pretty easy to determine using the family albulm. for instance on the s8, a 34/11 tranny matches with a 37/9 final drive.

dave
'01 s8
Old 04-18-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Agreed on the numbers ...

... but in general, my point is that someone planning this does have to do the homework.

As an example, if someone did not know what you know, could they read this post of yours and be able to tell what this means -

34/11 tranny matches with a 37/9 final drive

Stated another way, what is the intermediate step gear set to make this 4.11 work with a 3.09, and how do the automatic S8's net a 3.73 effective?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: more details...

audi specifies the "ratio" of the transmission based on the intermediate gear ratios. this is *not* the transmission ratio.

irrespective of the car, the overall transmission ratio is the same as that of the rear differential. sorry if i didn't make that clear in my earlier post.

wrt the rear drive, this is simply the result of the transmission ratio. wrt the front diff, it must also include the intermediate gears - which audi lists in the family album.

audi does not specify the individual pinion ratios of the front differential in the zf transmissions - as these are supplied by zf as part of the transmission.

dave
'01 s8
Old 04-18-2003, 07:19 PM

Default I forgot to also say "thanks" for contributing to this topic ...

A while back (maybe a year??) many of us tried to validate the combinations to figure out how we could get the torque multiplication of the S8's with our A8's.

I stumbled on the auto S8 combo's by accident, cross-referenced in information on A4 configs. Not the actual parts, purely the ratios. My sources for both were the Bentley's, which in some areas are dated (for my copies).

As an aside, the only real reason I even have an A4 Bentley was to understand how to possibly swap the six speed out of an S4 into the A8. On this topic, all I have ever wanted was for someone to give me a build sheet ... and I got quite frustrated with the tuners simply telling me that all I had to do was go to the Audi dealer and order the parts.

If you happen to have the specific part numbers for the auto S8 set-up and could share them, many of us would be extremely interested !!!

Quick Reply: Is the A8 tranny same as the A6 4.2 (Tip.)tranny?