A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Module Forgot Coding

Old 03-18-2018, 04:20 PM
R&M
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Module Forgot Coding

I am looking for help trying to sort out some problems with my ABS/ESP system.
The car is a 2000 A8L Quattro w/4.2L.
Car drove fine, no warning lights or buzzers, and it sat for a couple days. On the next start up the brake and ABS warning lights are on/blinking constantly and I get three long beeps from the dash. I should note that I have done no recent work to the car, and have done no adaptations nor replaced any parts in the last several months. Car drives and shifts fine, but ABS and ESP are disabled. I bought an OBDEleven Pro after these issues came up in hopes of finding the solution to this problem myself (thinking now I should have sprung for a VCDS cable). Local mechanics have proven pretty worthless when it comes to special Audi issues.
There are two codes present in the ABS module:
01044- Control Module incorrectly coded (static)
00778- Steering Angle Sensor (intermittent)
The ABS module coding is listed as 00000, which is obviously not correct. Not sure how it could have forgotten its program all on its own. I have tried reprogramming the module using the appropriate login (05497) and coding (08397). I get as far as having the module accept the coding, but I cannot calibrate the steering angle sensor. I keep getting a "communication interrupted" error message when I try to get into the "basic settings, 01" menu for steering angle sensor (I can access the other basic settings like brake bleed just fine). I have tried turning the wheel left and center, and tried using the 40168 security login before attempting the steering calibration also with no luck. The ABS module then forgets the coding I gave it and reverts back to 00000. Under the live data menu I can see the steering angle sensor values, which are within the normal parameters and they respond appropriately when the wheel is turned. So it seems like the steering sensor is doing its part?
My question really is this, am I doing the recoding process wrong (any OBDEleven users successfully done this?) or is this an indication of a bad ABS module, bad wiring harness, bad steering angle sensor?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

P.S. Doesn't seem related, but just in case, I also have a P1744 trouble code- Tiptronic switch, recognition short circuit to ground (static). Transmission will not allow Tiptronic shift setting, but shifts fine in normal modes. I never use the Tiptronic side, so I have no idea how long it hasn't been working, but no MIL lights before now.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm having exact same problem as decribed above. Any idea on a resolution?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are what the service manual has to say about coding of the unit:

Encode control unit
Control unit -J104 (no. 4D0 407 389 B/C/D/E) must be fitted in vehicles built from January 1999. These control
units can be encoded. New control units from the parts system are not coded and must be coded after installation.
Control units with no. 4D0 907 389 (no index) cannot be encoded.
Encoding of ESP control unit is designed to adapt the control unit to the vehicle.
Coding is only possible after the workshop code (WSC) has been entered into V.A.G 1551.
Encoding can only be performed if function 11 "Login procedure" has been successfully implemented beforehand
using fault reader V.A.G 1551/1552 => Page 154 .
After the control unit has been encoded, zero position compensation must be carried out for steering angle
sender -G85 without leaving the diagnostic mode. Function 04 "Initiate basic setting", Display group 01 =>
Page 131 .
Note:
If control unit has been encoded with code 00000 or with a code not appropriate to the vehicle the ABS warning
lamp (K47) and the TCS/ESP warning lamp (K155) will light continuously and the fault 01044- Control unit
incorrectly coded - will be stored in the fault memory of the control unit.

And here are the correct codes:

6, 8-or 12 cylinder petrol engine
Manual gearbox 08395
Automatic gearbox 08397
6-or 8 cylinder diesel engine
Manual gearbox 08355
Automatic gearbox 08357

Hope this is of help to you.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car sat and lost it's coding it sounds like the EEprom is failing. If that is the case I don't see a fix other than replacing the ECU/HU unit.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I managed to fix it. Here is what I did

Using VAGCOM
1. Open ABS controller
2. Login code 05495 (mine is a 6 speed, use 05497 for an auto)
3. Code module with 08395 ((mine is a 6 speed, use 08397 for an auto)
*4. Login again with 40168 *
5 Center wheel and go to 04 basic setting and group 1 and hit go. got Green OK

Closed the module. Done. Re opened and module is keeping coding now.
Then I got another error, because I didnt drive the car straight. I cleared it, drive the car straight for some distance and fault didn't return. Good to go!
Step 4 was the magic.

Last edited by icsamerica; 11-04-2019 at 09:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
Feri (10-23-2021), Kneale (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great job! Thanks for posting that!
Old 06-10-2023, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Abs module

"Control units with no. 4D0 907 389 (no index) cannot be encoded."

I have one of these units and my ABS code shows 0000. My question is, if I get a used replacement will it be plug and play? Will I need a dealer visit for anything or should the new unit hold the abs code? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default abs module

So one more question regarding this module. Does the version matter? The one I pulled out of mine is the version D56 but I see a bunch of different ones but they all say they are interchangeable between the A/S8, just trying to verify.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default tpmc

Originally Posted by R&M
Car drove fine, no warning lights or buzzers, and it sat for a couple days. On the next start up the brake and ABS warning lights are on/blinking constantly and I get three long beeps from the dash. I should note that I have done no recent work to the car, and have done no adaptations nor replaced any parts in the last several months. Car drives and shifts fine, but ABS and ESP are disabled. I bought an OBDEleven Pro after these issues came up in hopes of finding the solution to this problem myself (thinking now I should have sprung for a VCDS cable). Local mechanics have proven pretty worthless when it comes to special Audi issues.
The ABS module coding is listed as 00000, which is obviously not correct. Not sure how it could have forgotten its program all on its own. I have tried reprogramming the module using the appropriate login (05497) and coding (08397). I get as far as having the module accept the coding, but I cannot calibrate the steering angle sensor. I keep getting a "communication interrupted" error message when I try to get into the "basic settings, 01" menu for steering angle sensor (I can access the other basic settings like brake bleed just fine). I have tried turning the wheel left and center, and tried using the 40168 security login before attempting the steering calibration also with no luck. The ABS module then forgets the coding I gave it and reverts back to 00000. Under the live data menu I can see the steering angle sensor values, which are within the normal parameters and they respond appropriately when the wheel is turned. So it seems like the steering sensor is doing its part?
My question really is this, am I doing the recoding process wrong (any OBDEleven users successfully done this?) or is this an indication of a bad ABS module, bad wiring harness, bad steering angle sensor?

P.S. Doesn't seem related, but just in case, I also have a P1744 trouble code- Tiptronic switch, recognition short circuit to ground (static). Transmission will not allow Tiptronic shift setting, but shifts fine in normal modes. I never use the Tiptronic side, so I have no idea how long it hasn't been working, but no MIL lights before now.
Tp
Old 10-27-2023, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default tpmc

Originally Posted by R&M

Tp
any chance with Tyre pressure monitoring control system