A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Recoding Potential on the "Engine" side...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Recoding Potential on the "Engine" side...

I have not searched for ECU coding (US, Rest of World and such) but was wondering if anyone has played with Ross-Tech to see if perhaps there are some similar codes as with the TCU coding...perhaps a generic european code that does not retard ignition for lack of premium fuel...in-other-words a european version of our ECU that might be built in the software...

I'm sure Paul has tried this but just reasking, revisiting the potential or lack there of...
Old 01-01-2003, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Never tried it but you read my mind

Was thinking the same exact thing today.

Maybe we can get Kjell or somebody from Europe to see what the stock coding is on their A8. It could even be in the Bently.

The 00011 makes my car feel like a high performance european sedan on the Autobahn! It is totally awesome, transforms the car twice over. That, combined with the H&R's make it totally awesome!

Was going on a very long sweeping ramp today (about 3/4 mile) that changes from one highway to another, not a cloverleaf, could go 85 MPH, then give it a little more gas while coming out of it and it downshifts to third! Not a violent shift, but just matching the RPM's of the engine with the speed of the car.

If you ride a motorcycle, you know what I mean. The engine RPM must be matched to the road conditions, and this code is awesome at doing that!

For once, it drives around at 3000 RPM when doing something just a little bit spirited!

pw
Old 01-01-2003, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I've kept my eyes open for engine codes, but so far no good information....

I think that if we do find alternate codes that we will need to be very careful about model year and ECU part number application. These engines changed (if even very slightly) every year or two, and the ECUs likely changed too. If we could get a list of European ECU codes for each model year, then we may have a good starting point. Hopefully the ECU is as smart as the TCU and wont accept non-valid codes! This sounds like the next "big" project for the forum!
Old 01-01-2003, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Alldatadiy.com has info that states ECM is hard coded

The text that explains diagnosis of the ECM states that the ECM is hard coded and can't be changed via the Vag so not likely the Ross-Tech could do anything more...The info. provided makes it sound like there is just two versions of hard coding one for the 4.2 ABZ and the other for the 3.7 XXX....

I know that the software is changed from time to time when Audi finds an issue that needs attention...the units get revision #'s assigned but little info is provided on just what was changed - unless there is a major issue and a service bulletin is provided to aid the Service Depts in resolving an ECM related issue...

I don't know what the difference would be between the 97 and the 98-99 ECMs - it could be very minor or perhaps incorporate other sensors that may not have been part of the 97 vintage...I have know idea if there were any changes this way but know the TIP trans was added in 98. Still, the TCM for 98-99 will work in 97s so maybe the ECM works.

I'm in S. FL once again so can't get my ECM part # for comparison - when I get back and catch up with work I'll post a new topic with the ECM and the TCM # again. I might just take Paul W up on his offer to test the 98-99 spare TCM I have and then send my spare 98-99 ECM to see if he wants to try this - don't think it would blow anything up but a quick look at the wiring diagrams might be in order just to make sure... I've played with my 90 Audi V8 quite a bit this way and never had any problem but Paul would have to play at his own risk : )

BTW - Happy New Year to All!
Old 01-01-2003, 08:45 PM

Default would be interesting to see a VAG-Scope graph on the 011, 012 and the stock 002 with

variables like RPM, gear, speed, throttle position. the VAG-Scope is a free util, it should be pretty easy to do for those with the VAG-COM soft.