A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission clutch

Can anybody please explain how the clutches and the hydraulic system in the automatic transmission works?
I believe one of them is not working in the transmission of my car.

Regards,
Svein Frode Eggesbo
2000 A8 Quattro Tipronic, 45 000 km.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/10559.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/10559.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 07-24-2002, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default We need to solve this problem, a lot of us have it, could it require an oil change?

I have had the same problem for about a year and many other people have recently gotten it. I should try changing my oil in the tranny (at least the four quarts that will come out) and see if it makes any changes.

I too have no fault codes on my tranny, but it falls out of "lock out" with a very light foot in 5th gear, sometimes in 4th, and now every once in a while in third. I almost always drive it around in "4" now versus drive because it is so annoying in fifth.

I wonder if there is somebody or some way we can discuss this with ZF, the tranny maker?

pw
Old 07-24-2002, 02:50 PM

Default I just changed my transmission fluid with red line ATF, and the shifting is much softer.. .

read my post below
Old 07-24-2002, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Automatic transmission clutch

The part that is most likely the culprit is the torque converter, essentially an hydraulic clutch that sits between the engine and the rest of the transmission. Since it is hydraulicly driven, it stands to reason that its performance can be significantly affected by the quality of the transmission fluid. Even if the troque converter is not the problem, the other items that could cause these symptoms are also affected by the fluid quality. The first, and best step would be to do a changout of the ATF fluid with the best fluid you can find that meets or exceeds Audi specifications. This drain/refill will only replace 4 out of a total of 9 quarts of fluid in the transmission, but it is all you can get by simply draining the tranny. Run it with the new fluid, and if it improves the condition, you may want to consider performing another 4 quart fluid change in a week or two. The first oil change will replace 45% of the total, and the second change will result in a total of approximately 70% of the original fluid having been removed and replaced with new. This should help, and I would recommend an ATF drain/fill every 30,000 miles or so for ALL Audi automatic transmissions. It isn't very expensive, so it would be cheap insurance. If the new fluid doesn't cure the problem, then I'm sorry to say that you may have a serious problem.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Which Red Line ATF did you use?
Old 07-24-2002, 08:05 PM

Default D4, here's the link where I got the info from surfing... good discount tips too

http://users.ev1.net/~sturgeon/car/focus/trannyoil/trannyoil.htm
Old 07-24-2002, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go to the ZF website and drop them a request for info.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.zf.com/zf_group/produkte/tech_info/schmierstoffliste/V9/TEML11E_englisch.pdf">ZF Approved Lubricants for Auto Transmissions</a></li></ul>
Old 07-25-2002, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default What is the test with the brake on and full throttle?

I haven't found that test on the Bently CD, what was your data and what was the range that it should of been?
Old 07-25-2002, 10:52 AM

Default Re: What is the test with the brake on and full throttle?

I got an instruction sheet from the Audi garage (they are having their holiday now), with a few tests. On of them is to step on the brake (left foot), put the shifter into D or R, and then full throttle (max. 5 sec.). Be careful where you do the test in case you loose the brake. On my car (2.5 Tdi) the rmp should be max 2800. I read more than 3100, and I also heard a ¨special noise, like a safety valve reliese.

Regards,
Svein Frode Eggesbo
Old 07-25-2002, 11:55 AM

I have now done so. I will post any reply from them.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission clutch