A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Bad News, Help ! Before I send my A8 To The Junkyard

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Bad News, Help ! Before I send my A8 To The Junkyard

I had a loud screeching noise that lasted only a couple of seconds on cold starts that gradually got worse and lasted longer and longer. I posted something about this only a week or so ago and everyone that responded didn't seem to think it was too serious.

Anyway, I brought the car in to be looked at and two separate mechanics both claimed the noise was coming from the transmission. One of the two claimed that they had it narrowed down to the noise being the transmission pump. When calling around to try to find a pump, they discovered that the pump wasn't a separate unit, and cannot be sold separately from the transmission itself. The entire transmission being replaced is the way this issue is usually handled. The part alone in that case is $7800.00 plus the labor which obviously will add quite a bit to that. I've already decided that if I am forced to replace the transmission I will absolutely dump the vehicle, hoping to sell the transmission-ill vehicle (which is in immaculate condition) to someone who has the ability or the financial means to put a new transmission in the car.

If anyone has any information or advice relating to my above case such as where I may be able to find the actual separate part I need rather than replacing the entire transmission or a better way to go approach this, please fill me in, your feedback will be very much appreciated. I'm also wondering, are there any compatible transmissions that can be put in this car? What is the name of the company that actually manufactures the transmission for this car? If anyone has any of these questions answered please respond. My Audi days are about to come to an end.

Thanks in advance.

dommi3/Tiburon, California
1997 A8 Quattro Silver/Gray
17" Audi Wheels
All Available Options
-------------------------
Previous Audi

1990 V8 Quattro
Old 11-11-2002, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The ZF is used across a wide range of V8 powered cars.

Part of the Audi tranny is designed specifically for the AWD application, which might make interchangability an issue. Very few shops have the facilities to tackle the inner workings succesfully.

The basic ZF tranny code is 5HP24A, although that encompasses both RWD and AWD cars. It is used in Jag, Mercedes, and BMW applications.

On a $70K car ( originally ), a $10K tranny is not out of line. However, as more of these cars fall into a sale price where owners do not have the means or desire to spend the money to maintain them, this will only happen more often. When I worked at a British car restoration/repair shop, we would see this a lot.<ul><li><a href="http://www.erikssonindustries.com/ZF%20items/5HP24A/5hp24a.htm">Possible help ?</a></li></ul>
Old 11-11-2002, 04:59 PM

Default Re: The ZF is used across a wide range of V8 powered cars.

What is the mileage on your A8, and are transmission problems on these cars a known reliability issue? I have a 99 A8, and simply wish to know.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having spoken to A8 and 7 series owners, the average lifespan is between

110,000 and 200,000 miles. It depends on how the car is used, if the fluid is flushed with quality fluid, and which series of HP24 is used. The BMW trannies seem to have the shortest life on average.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Having spoken to A8 and 7 series owners, the average lifespan is between

had mine replaced at 54,000 miles by the dealer in 1999. The repair bill was around $13,000. I know a guy with a wrecked A8 that had a good engine, I will e-mail him and see if he has the transmission. I know he sold the engine for 5K, so I am guessing that the transmission would be somewhere in that range too.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:40 PM

Default as you may read below, my tranny was just replaced...

and the total cost would be (if it was not Audi Assured vehicle) $8874 parts and labor including the mandatory (I believe) alignment adjust.

the total cost for parts was $7508 and the rest were the labor charges. my dealer marks up parts 33% and labor anywhere from 400% to 500%.

as far as I have heard, the auto tranny is the most complex part of the whole A8 (and most other cars as well) and many things can go wrong. I would not suggest getting your tranny rebuilt as this may not save you much monies and still may not be as good as a new unit.

hope this helps....
Old 11-11-2002, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Did you change the oil in the tranny? Here's a possible source for a rebuilt unit

I recall we recommended to have the fluid changed ASAP along with the filter and pan gasket. Was that done? Somebody on the list stated that they cleaned the filter after noises and found it was very dirty and went away after that.

Other's with 97's have stated that one of the exhaust pipes need to be dropped to drop the pan. I would defintely do that at this point. Don't take any more chances. Maybe it is oil starved, if it is, check the filter!

Here is a place that has rebuilt units for about $3500 or $4000 as I recall. The 97 came with one of three trannies, have the mechanic pull the serial number, you'll need it to source a new one. The 98 and newer models all came with a different tranny which is the same from my understanding.

It's ridiculious that the tranny lasts 100-200K and the engine will last much longer.

Please keep us informed.<ul><li><a href="http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/parts.html">Possible rebuilt trannies here</a></li></ul>
Old 11-11-2002, 05:52 PM

Default My tranny was just replaced... Where's the old one?

As I recall, the old tranny probably wasn't defective. So, where is it now? Can he buy that one?
Old 11-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Elder Member

Default Agree that 100k miles from a tranny is unacceptable ...

and it sounds like a 50k mile tranny fluid and filter change is more-or-less mandatory.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Hey, I wanted that one (said it last week to him) but it's a 99, won't work in a 97

I looked into it, for the most part, retrofitting a 98 and later tranny to a 97 is very difficult to do.

But I bet if you had the tranny TCU and the wiring harness had the same connectors, you could do it. But that is a lot of ifs.....

Quick Reply: Bad Bad News, Help ! Before I send my A8 To The Junkyard