A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Adjuster's

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Adjuster's

Hey guys I wanted to find out from you guys how hard is it to change the cam adjuster? Is there timing involved? Can I do the timing my self? I went to a local shop and they said it would cost me about $1600.00 to change them. Is there a DIY thread on this?

Thank you guys very much!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no step-by-step on the web for this VERY involved job, which includes, among other things, removing the cams. Attempting this job and much lesser ones without a Bentley manual or a whole lotta personal experience would be a mistake...too many steps that must be done correctly and precisely...and still involves steps that are tough with just 2 hands.

The parts alone, from the cheapest source come up to near $1200.

It may be irritating, but start up rattle alone does not indicate they are worn out yet...but eventually will. If they still rattle constantly at warm idle, they're (one or both) worn out.

Again, if you're going to tackle jobs like this and don't have a manual, you've got an incomplete tool box, unsuited for doing your own maintenance & repair.

Here's a taste of a short-cutted write-up on the passenger's side adjuster, which does NOT include all the needed steps, warnings and specs from the Bentley >>>

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/55496.phtml

Last edited by silverd2; 11-26-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

See there is no rattle when the car is warm. Runs just fine...

So you think that I shouldn't worry about it?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Audi bulletins state cam adjuster noise at cold start is 100% normal condition and NO parts should be replaced. Dont worry about it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed, granted I know i will have to do my pass side someday (knock on wood) I have 235k on that one... rattle at start for a second for the past 3 years and since 120k
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audinutt
Agreed, granted I know i will have to do my pass side someday (knock on wood) I have 235k on that one... rattle at start for a second for the past 3 years and since 120k

Whew thanks guys! I feel so much better! Now that money can go towards mods!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My Tensioner pictures - prompted by post

Since obtaining 2000 A8 in Dec, 2010, clatter from the driver side bank bothered me. I kept hearing it was "normal", not to worry. Sometimes it was louder on start up, other times not too bad. Different oil, outside temp seemed to vary symptoms but it still bothered me.

Cost, of course was a factor in waiting, pondering. I ended up getting a good deal on a new adjuster from SiverD2 who had purchased the wrong side adjuster from a guy in Germany. However, I was dismayed that two local shops would not install without supplying the part.

Someone else on this forum recommended Prestige imports in Grand Rapids, MI. They did the job using my adjuster. Bear in mind, gaskets and other "stuff" need to be purchased. It was done in this last Aug and noise stopped. There is only a faint click on start up from the other (passenger) side.

I kept the old tensioner for grins and planned to take pictures of it but never got around to it. It has been sitting in a box wrapped in a rag all this time. Today, taking a good look at it for the first time, revealed the plastic pad on one side was broken. I don't know how long it was broken but, but there was nothing catastrophic and it still quieted down after start up.

Fortunately for me, it did not break in the middle as pictured on the quatroworld how-to link provided by SilverD2. It broke towards the end of the metal piston thing.

I also noted the plastic was grooved on both pads where the chain ran against it. There is 184K on the clock now and as long as the other side stays quiet, I will keep driving it and keep the money in my pocket.
Attached Images     
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard the added noise when a pad broke in 2 on my way home one day. When I got there, at idle, it was easy to hear a chain dragging noise. I parked it until I could get in there to replace the pads.

This was only about 7 miles of driving...and the chain pad carrier is made of steel, not the cast aluminum the adjuster body is made from >>>>