A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts, but when put into any of the gears it does not move.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: sorry man. I just went through that ordeal about 3 months ago. not fun at all

what did u end up doing? and the cost?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: I think you are still short some tranny fluid. Should take 8-9 quarts.

when i drained it all that came out was about 2-3.5 QTS, so i was hoping that all it required is the extra fluid to get this to move

At first i thought it was the F-125 switch, but its in pristine condition and the reverse ligths work, the mirrors go down on reverse.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Try it one more time.

P0765 Shift Solenoid D Circuit Malfunction

that code is bothering me for some reason....
Old 05-16-2006, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I will give you the short story,

Aftermarket warranty company wanted to put in a used tranny, they figured the cost of tranny and install to be $4138. I argued and got them upto $5500 and purchased a new tranny at $7k. came with a 1 yr warranty. I remember a refurb tranny to be about $5k.

Some guys on this board have had their trannys rebuilt average cost around $2100
Old 05-16-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unclear..

You are running the car, in gear, WHILE you fill it, right? Just making sure.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Unclear..

Thats correct.

i filled it till it started to over flow. Then i moved to Drive D, did the same process and so on.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: sorry man. I just went through that ordeal about 3 months ago. not fun at all

wow 7k US for just a tranny?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: I will give you the short story,

thats insane...there is no way im going to afford that...or even half that cost. might be forced to sell the car off AS IS
Old 05-16-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Try it one more time.

I think thats wishful thinking by now

doesnt hurt to try..

Im hoping PaulW might have some sort of idea. Ive spent 10hrs now looking through everything on these forums, and cant find anything that resembles my problems.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The code is a secondary problem.

The car should drive without the transmission computer. So even if you disconnect all the electronic connectors from the TCU, it should go forward or reverse. If you are sure, that the fluid level is correct and the filter the RIGHT filter, then your tranny is broken.
It could be torque converter, tranny pump or a cracked valve body. Before you spend money on it, why don't you drop the pan and check the filter. What year is the car? pre-facelift filter in the post facelift car will starve the pump. The pickup pipe is too close to the bottom of the pan. Post facelift filter in the pre-facelift car will have low fluid level the pickup pipe will be out of fluid easily. If the filter is missing the o-ring on the top it will suck air instead of fluid.
When you refill the tranny, first fill it with the engine off. When it overflows, start the engine and keep filling more. Here is the important part. If the tranny takes more after you started it, that means the pump works. Have someone to run the shifter through the gears. when it doesn't take more put it in R. If it overflows even more, that just confirms the pump is OK.
There is a possibility, that the valve body is cracked and doesn't let any pressure to the clutches.
The torque converter could be broken. (but it would be noisy)
Your drive shaft could be broken and you loose all the power on the center diff.
Try to check these points and let us know how is going.

Quick Reply: Car starts, but when put into any of the gears it does not move.