A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating an A8

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating an A8

I have been thinking about purchasing a use A8 for a while now and have a few questions for the experts here:

Is a 2000 and later A8 preferable to the pre 2000 model year? I understand the 2000's got 10 more horses and a revised interior, any other significant things that make the 2000's more desirable?

What is the general experience with the solar sunroof? I am currently making this a "must have" on the A8 I am looking for, but does it realy make a difference? I live in Austin, so if it works it would make 8 months of the year more bearable.

How much will it cost to get a vehicle certified by the local Audi dealer and is it worth it (vs. a third party warranty)?

Any other tips from anyone here on purchasing an A8 are appreciated (I have looked at the Audipages.com, great site!).

Thanks,

Otmar
Old 05-13-2003, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sunroof

I'd rather not have the solar sunroof, as you lose the "openess" of having the sky above you with a closed roof but open privacy/insulation panel, as you can do with a regular sunroof.

The rear shades are nice, though.

I'd also get xenons if possible. I'm going to retrofit mine before next winter.

The other noticeable change with the 2000 facelift is hidden headlight washers.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had a 99 A8 funny enough...

I lived in Austin while I had the car and it had the solar sunroof. It really doesn't make a difference it is still really hot in the car with it blowing the entire time. I would say ditch it get the nice sunroof instead. Also go for 2000 or newer.

- Revised front and rear fascia
- Aluminum suspension for better handling
- integrated headlight washers
- revised aluminum space frame
- 10 Hp increase
- In dash CD player
- Some have 6 CD in dash player
- better Arm rests
- revised seat stitching (no tubing witch is a
plus as well as placed cuts to where your butt
would make a crease in the seats.
- clear headlight covers
- Sport mode on tip box 01 or newer I believe
- revised gauges in red and white, much better
IMHO
- Multifunction Steering wheel
- Nav Options
- integrated fog lamps in lower grill giving
cleaner look
- passenger memory seat option

Yeah think that's about it

2002 Audi S8 Pearl White/Black
Summer/Winter/Telematics
Old 05-13-2003, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I personally love the solar sunroof- on hot sunny days the interior only gets a few....

degrees hotter than the outside temp, rather than 40-50 degrees hotter without the solar sunroof running the vent fan. Here in Denver the summer can get fairly hot but brutally sunny- the greenhouse effect works really well here. Also, as part of the hot weather package that includes the solar sunroof you get the rear sunshades and thermal/insulating glass. I think that you would want this in Austin. The downside to the thermal glass is that it blocks a significant portion of radio frequency energy, so inside radar detectors don't work at all (need a remote unit), handheld cell phones work but at reduced signal strength, and handheld GPS units don't work at all either. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:00 AM

Default For these reasons I got a 2000...

..plus the book value to the actual sales prices was a better rario than the 1999 and older cars.

One very good reason to get a 1999 or 1998...there are more mmods available, and more people on this forum that have these cars to share info with.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Contemplating an A8

2000 is wider, because of bigger mirror? 40 valves engine and I'm not sure about traction control.. How I can check it? Special light on dashboard?
Old 05-13-2003, 11:09 AM

Default I agree with the benefits of the solar roof, but....

I'm surprised to hear you say you have had problems with cell phone signal, etc. I have not experienced that problem.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Has your windshield been replaced with a non-OEM (non-Audi) part? I have personaly tested...

the radar detector, cell phone, and GPS units inside my car. The radar detector gets NO microwave signal through the windshield (X, K, or Ka), as does the handheld GPS unit (zero satellites acquired). My cell phone works fine except in marginal signal areas- I can get out of my car and get an additional 1 or 2 bars on the signal strength meter. If you have a non-Audi OEM windshield (even thouth they claim it to be "thermal" glass) it won't have the same properties as the Audi glass.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:11 PM

Default So, the A8 is a good fallout shelter in the event of a nuclear attack? ;-)

I do not use a radar detector, and I have the stock Nav system, so I have never noticed that they don't work. I've never had a problem with the cell phone, but I'll check the differences in signal strength inside vs. outside the car.

I bought the car used so I don't know if the glass is original or not, but I'll look into it. Thanks!