A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossroads.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossroads.

Hi guys. I finally have saved enough to get an A8,2000. I have snooped around on this forum for 2 months and have noticed that majority of the complaints on the D2 are on transmission issues. This scares me . Is the transmission of these cars,2000 to 2003 A8 that problematic? Is it something I should really lose sleep about ?
The other thing mechanics have warned me about are the MANY links in the front suspension that go bad and are relatively expensive to replace since there are 5 or was it 10 on each side. My question is how frequently does one have to replace these ? I have had the 7 series BMW 735i and 740il for many years but have always had an eye for the A8 , but these two issues I have been reading about are scaring me. Any input?.....please
Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 AM

Default About transmission

I have year 1995 A8 with 4 speed tiptronic and no problems. 11 year old car! Normally nobody tells here if everything is ok, but ofcourse if some problems come you can read it here.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Transmission saw many internal improvements over time.

You can get a whole set of front suspension components for ~$560 US, so it's not as bad as it sounds. My 1999 is just now needing arms, on one side.

The transmission issue is present but not universal. Many people don't have a problem. I don't have a problem.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:06 AM

Default Re: About transmission

my 1999 is trouble free (knocking on wood)and is as solid as it was when it was new.

I get so many positive comments on it - people still think it is a 2-3 year old car.

Find one that has been babied and pay a little extra for it. A well-maintained A8 will be 5x cheaper to own than a negleted one.

Yes, the tranny is the weak spot - but all cars have weak spots, even Hondas have bad trannys (my wife's 2003 Odyssey for example). So much progress has been made on this forum in preventing, diagnosing and repairing tranny trouble it has been incredible. Worst case if your tranny goes you may spend 3k to replace it and you will be good for another 100k miles.

The 4.2 engine is basically bulletproof and the car will not leave you stranded.

Keep up on the maintanence, get a good indy mechanic if something does happen and you will be the envy of all who know you with your A8!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The suspension links (control arms), well the ball joints, are a weakness on all Audis

except the TT, which it is a VW platform and the geometry is different. Actually the passat has similar problems as well. The ball joints mainly are the weak point.

Also, I think that worn suspension components and the link to the number of posts concerning it is due to the fact that a lot of members are pushing higher mileage cars. I think its a combination of bad design and mileage.

Yes, it could be expensive if you are not a DIY guy.

The transmission on 2000+ cars are better I believe. But its a crapshoot. Some have better luck than others.

Lastly, if the car was so unreliable, we wouldnt all be driving them. Its not like a 80s Ferrari that breaks down all the time and you chuckle because it is what it is. No one here is stupid enough to put themselves in that position. So with that said, find a mint one and enjoy it!

I have 185K on mine, I do not baby it. I hit redline everyday I drive it. My transmission has the typical quirks, but it hasn't let me down yet! If it does, well then I got my money's worth out of it.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: The suspension links (control arms), well the ball joints, are a weakness on all Audis

Pretty straight forward. Thank you very much for your points
Old 07-26-2006, 01:04 PM

I guess I have made my decision. Thank you guys. Will be joining you soon. I can't wait.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

I too get a bit tense over the tranny troubles. I'm a DYI'er and do all the work I can. But a trans is not something I would dig into other than basic fluid/filter changes or a valve body swap. My first A8 was a 1999 model and it had a slight hunting issue but not much. Even at 140k miles it was still working VERY good. I just took the plunge again with my current A8L...a 2001 model. It feels about the same as the '99 model did but still very quick upshifts, firm and strong. I have to agree with what's been said previously, these cars are really awesome! Of all the cars I've ever owned, be it a musclecar, cadillac, vette, or ferrari....I most regretted selling my A8!!!! Yep!! So now that I'm on my 2nd A8, since last Saturday....I'm still on top of the world. The car is built so well, what few quirks there are, can be easily overlooked. I mean when you shut a door it's like slamming a bank vault door closed....not many cars are this solid. I can't say enough good about Audis...I'm also a bit biased as you can see. But really, since I've bought another one, and am so much a fan of them, you couldn't ask for a better recommendation then that! You'll never regret it!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: The suspension links (control arms), well the ball joints, are a weakness on all Audis

Off topic a bit, but I must come to the defense of all Ferraris built in the 1980's. I have owned a couple of Ferraris from the eighties and with proper care they have been VERY reliable. Which for an Italian car is uncommon. The only real weak point is the electricals. Other than that they are really great cars. In fact I'm currently on my 2nd Testarossa. I've done 3 major services, tuned fuel systems, etc. and I can speak with some authority. Maintenance is the key.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a huge Ferrari fan. Just makin a point. Maybe a Jag would have been a better example! : -)

Quick Reply: crossroads.