A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 '01-S8 - Dead Fuel Pump turns into NIGHTMARE...... (& Member Intro)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 '01-S8 - Dead Fuel Pump turns into NIGHTMARE...... (& Member Intro)

Good Morning AW,

Backround/Intro:

Early August '11.....After searching for a new car for a few weeks and many failed attempts at meeting unreliable and disrespectful people, I was on my way into work one early Monday morning and spotted the gem I have had my eyes on since High School. A local very wealthy man was selling his 2001 D2 S8 that Ive seen him driving for just about 10 years. He bought this car brand new and owned the plaza that the local Deli hangout was is next to the school. Since I went to college and returned home I would still see him around town now and then still cruising the S8, looking fresh as day 1. So when I saw this car in the front lot just off the main highway I was on with a for sale sign in the window, I literally cut off about 3 people to change lanes and get off and into the parking lot.
It was really for sale, and better yet it was in my price range. Even better, I WAS SHOPPING FOR A NEW CAR!....This had to be fate. I looked over the car, spotless... looked under the car, spotless. Few minor dings or scratches here or there but nothing out of whats expected from a 10 year old car. I took down the information and anxiously waited until about 9am to give the number a call. I spoke with the owner and told him I know the car and Im EXTREMELY interested but I dont get off of work until 5pm. Would he be able to meet me right at 5 at the vehicle. He said he put the car out last night at 10pm and he would gladly meet me at 5. I was worried I would get snuck on this one as I had with my few previous encounters. So I was nervous all day as 5pm came. Well all in all I made a low ball cash offer after about an hour of meeting and going over the car and expecting a rebuddle offer, he actually accepted! I couldnt believe it and was extremely happy.
For the next month and a half I absolutely loved the car. Power, luxury, agility, comfort. Just an all in all great package. Well, thats when my luck had a very unfortunate change for the worse............................................. .....

The Nightmare:

After leaving the local watering hole one night for some sports and drinks with friends I decided to head out and get some food and call it a night. I started the car and it seemed a little hesitant at first but I shrugged it off and went on my way. On my way to my destination (only maybe 2 miles away) the car seems to be acting up as Im continuing. Loss of power, and intermittent power surges. Due to the horror stories Ive heard bout the transmissions in the D2 Im thinking this is my ticker about to go BOOM.... But then I realize the transmission is working fine, Im just not getting ANY power....The car starts seriously struggling and is having a difficult time making it into the parking spot at the diner I have now slugged my way up to. Bucking, power loss, and me flipping ****.... I luckily make my way into the parking spot after having to reverse to get enough oommmffhh to get me up the slight hill into the diner since Im not making any power..... I get into the parking spot and poof.... shes dead. I let it sit for a second, and try to see if she runs.... nothing...cranks like crazy, but just wont turn over.... And better yet, she doesnt sound healthy when turning... sounds somewhat lumpy and like it doesnt have enough push.....

I get her towed to my buddys shop and we start to asses whats going on. After looking over a few things we determine that the fuel pump is dead. We put auxiliary power directly the pump and we get nothin!... So now its time to remove the pump right? WRONG....After countless hours of trying to remove the fuel pump housing from inside of the tank, we realize that the rod bolt that holds the fuel pump housing into the tank is stripped INSIDE of the tank. Long story short, the pump housing refused to come out and even after breaking apart the entire pump housing into a million pieces inside the tank, the rod bolt is STILL stripped in the housing in the tank.... JOY!

So now I have gone from having to replace the fuel pump... $275.... to having to get the new pump and housing $400 (Shokan).... to having to get the new pump, housing, and now a new gas tank to go with it!!! We get all the parts together and get the new tank, new pump, new housing all installed. While we ripped apart the whole underside of the car I also replaced the commonly leaky output shaft transmission seal that leaks onto the driver side exhaust and gives that nasty burning smell...I also replaced my VSS because every now and then my speedometer would get jumpy and moody on me....

So short Cliff notes until this point:

- Bought Car - 01 S8 - 170k miles / All timing / major services done / one owner/ great condition /
- About a month and half after purchase car dies. Sputtering, loss of power, shaking, slight bucking...dead.
- Determine dead Fuel Pump is to blame
- Under ridiculous circumstances, Im forced to change Pump, Pump housing, and Fuel tank itself.
- While vehicle is apart we also change VSS, fuel filter, and Output shaft transmission seal

The day finally comes after a month of working and ripping my hair out of trying to start her and send her home. Well that would be great if she started. But...my luck....Nothing..... Double, triple checked all connections, plugs, wires, etc.... NOTHING....After a few days of testing we realize that the pump is not engaging and turning on? We tested the pump when we got it and it was perfect. Worked great. After more testing and troubleshooting, we get the car started.

The only way we seem to be able to get the car running is by jumping the over the ECU and output signal to the pump directly. The signal is NOT being put out by the ECU and turning on the pump. When the car is running, it sounds dreadful. We had the entire front of the car off because we were checking the timing to rule that out as to why it was not starting so we couldnt let it run for too long. VAGCOM shows multiple misfires and fuel pump code because we are jumping over the ECU connection.

So now our problems points to a faulty ECU. I send out the ECU to a friend out in California who dissembles and cleans and checks all the points on the pins and doesnt find anything to be concerned about.

he did say he saw one tiny point on the board that raised an eye brow but said it seemed fine.

We get the ECU back and throw it in the car, WHALA... She runs!!!! But again she sounds horrible and is not running right.

We test the continuity for the coil packs, diode test the injectors, put brand new spark plugs in it and even got a brand new MAF. Defiantly cleared it up a little bit, but still running lumpy. So this is the point Im at now and Im at a complete loss of what to do.

Another set of Cliffs up to this point:

- Parts changed: Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump Housing, Fuel Tank, Fuel Filter, VSS, Transmission Output Shaft seal, Spark plugs, MAF.
- Parts Tested: Injectors and Coil Packs
- Entire frot of car was removed and Timing was checked

I have not gotten the car up to OT because like I said it doesnt sound right and I dont want to let it keep running if something else could be wrong....

My next idea is to check the Ignition Amplifiers? Read somewhere on this forum to give those a look as they can fail.

Please help me out if you have any ideas on things to try to get this car back on the road. I absolutely love the car and have now reached the point where i have not had the car much longer than I was able to initially enjoy her.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't seem to be having much luck with your S8...

...I thought it was fixed - I've been following your posts on the Zine. ECU fault?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

May I suggest that you use the Ross-Tech software to understand the operation of all components that comprise you vehicle's system. http://www.ross-tech.com.
This capability will enable you to better diagnose the issues. Otherwise, you will be in a replacement mode that may or may not solve your issues.
Best regards,

A8Leads
Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Compression test?

Adequate fuel pressure making it to the fuel rails?

OBD codes?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Compression test?

Adequate fuel pressure making it to the fuel rails?

OBD codes?

No compression test done...

You need a special in line measurement fitting/gauge to measure at fuel rail....

OBD codes showing are multiple cylinder misfires....
Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

i HAD SIMILAR ISSUE BEFORE 2 YEARS CHECK BEHIND THE WINDSHIELD CLEANER CONTAINER THERE ARE 2 PLUGS SEATING ONE ABOVE THE OTHER MY PROBLEM WAS ONE OF THEM WAS NOT GIVING SPARK TO THE INJECTOR , AND GIVING ME MISFIRE CYLINDER 4 .

HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVOZS8
i HAD SIMILAR ISSUE BEFORE 2 YEARS CHECK BEHIND THE WINDSHIELD CLEANER CONTAINER THERE ARE 2 PLUGS SEATING ONE ABOVE THE OTHER MY PROBLEM WAS ONE OF THEM WAS NOT GIVING SPARK TO THE INJECTOR , AND GIVING ME MISFIRE CYLINDER 4 .

HOPE THIS HELPS
If you're referring to the ignition control modules (with power output stages), they do not exist on 40V motors (200 and up). The POS's are built into the coils on 40V.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think that is what he was talking about...

I also think thats the same thing someone else was calling "Ignition Amplifiers"....and would make sense because they said its located near/on the passenger shock tower....
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the same car that you posted on audizine, right? It sounds like you need vagcom to diagnose this issue. Have you tried running it with the maf unplugged to see if it helps at all?
I had a massive vacuum leak on my 40v a8 and when i plugged the MAF it smoothed out, I thought it was something more serious but was relieved when it was not.

next up would be clearing codes, restarting the car and monitoring which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

Good luck,
-Rich
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audinutt
This is the same car that you posted on audizine, right? It sounds like you need vagcom to diagnose this issue. Have you tried running it with the maf unplugged to see if it helps at all?
I had a massive vacuum leak on my 40v a8 and when i plugged the MAF it smoothed out, I thought it was something more serious but was relieved when it was not.

next up would be clearing codes, restarting the car and monitoring which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

Good luck,
-Rich

Yea this is the same car.... figured I would try another set of brains to hopefully help....

Quick Reply: D2 '01-S8 - Dead Fuel Pump turns into NIGHTMARE...... (& Member Intro)