A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disc Carrier Tranny Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like quite a mess to fix. Missing even a single part would result in a non-functioning transmission. Now as far as identifying the parts, I will try my best to get you a copy of the zf service manual for that transmission, it is hugely helpful. I'll toss it up on a server and pm a download link if you would like. Now if you are very thorough you may be able to acquire all of the missing parts, but your best option at this point would probably be to buy the cheapest used 5hp24 available and apply your rebuild kit to that, or scavenging the needed parts. It is much easier to methodically rebuild one clutch at a time and lay the parts out in order as you replace them. But since a bunch of things are missing that makes it difficult. I've heard of some salvage places being over stocked with 5hp24s and selling them for around $500. That may be cheaper than hunting down each component individually since planetaries, steels, and who knows what else has gone missing.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you want pm me w/ your email and I'll send you the spare parts catalog and the repair manual. For the transmission. Rocketsurgeon has a good point about a used one, since it would be together
Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you both very much for your replies, and the files.....

BUT, I know for a fact, that he took the B drum/hub, which is the one in the very first picture of this post, second he took some round steels, which where the smallest ones, if you can see in the pictures, the smallest steels are missing.

And the third and final part is the one I am missing and dont know which part it is..... as soon as I saw the parts in the e+bay link I posted, the part in the lower left, it immediately came to mind. BUT I am just guessing, because I am not 100% sure.

That is the reason I asked, you guys have more knowledge, and can provide me with more details.

I am pretty sure those 3 things are the only ones he took, but at the same time, it got me wondering if he took something else and I did not notice. He couldn't have taken much as the put everything in a small priority mail box.

So, again, any info by looking at the pictures is appreciated. I know he did not took anything else, (not even small parts or screws) because I was right there with him when he grabbed them. But since I was putting thing inside the trunk at the time, I did not see if he could have taken a small part (around the same size as the ones he took)

So basically, I am looking to see what I am missing in the range of parts I have in the picture, all parts are internal, and a few other things, I just didnt include in the picture. I just focused on the set of parts that where in one group of parts on their own.

Any HELP is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I went page by page with the manual you sent me....

Indeed, what I am missing is the planet set. (Page 95 of the manual you sent me) Also I am attaching the picture for reference.

According to the parts catalog for the BMX (5HP24) and the Audi (5HP24A0 all parts are the same, EXCEPT for part 42.010, which fortunately I hung on for.

So, I will go ahead and buy that.....also inside the tranny there where some clutch packs and the parking brake or something like that....

Anything else you guys see missing that could cause me setbacks?

Thanks!!!!

Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon
That sounds like quite a mess to fix. Missing even a single part would result in a non-functioning transmission. Now as far as identifying the parts, I will try my best to get you a copy of the zf service manual for that transmission, it is hugely helpful. I'll toss it up on a server and pm a download link if you would like. Now if you are very thorough you may be able to acquire all of the missing parts, but your best option at this point would probably be to buy the cheapest used 5hp24 available and apply your rebuild kit to that, or scavenging the needed parts. It is much easier to methodically rebuild one clutch at a time and lay the parts out in order as you replace them. But since a bunch of things are missing that makes it difficult. I've heard of some salvage places being over stocked with 5hp24s and selling them for around $500. That may be cheaper than hunting down each component individually since planetaries, steels, and who knows what else has gone missing.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are missing a lot of parts there. A couple of bearings, the whole clutch D-E assemby, the planets.........
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hear from the master now!!!.....hehe

Thanks for jumping in tozo....

Well I excluded a couple of parts, but here it goes.....

Also cylinder F is inside the tranny so its not pictured. (third picture)

Also, I have included a couple more pixs of what I have... (see pictures)

And finally I purchased this exactly as you see it in the pictures (Seller had 2 listings alike) http:// www. ebay. com/itm/231148992177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

Apparently, that is what I was missing according to the parts catalog.

And finally, I bought this set (Last picture).... It comes with steels as well. I am 100% sure the SOB took with him about 4/5/6 steels, (you can see in the pictures the clutches alone), by the picture in this kit, are the ones I am missing in the kit I bought?

Thanks for the input, you guys are lifesavers.....

Any other noticeable parts I could be missing??

Originally Posted by tozoM8
You are missing a lot of parts there. A couple of bearings, the whole clutch D-E assemby, the planets.........
Attached Images