A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Impressions of my 2004 A8 (not that long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving Impressions of my 2004 A8 (not that long)

The car is a true mechnical marvel. Considering it weighs 4399lbs., it handles like it weighs 3399lbs. The perfomance tires on the 19"ers really stick to the road and give the car a very stable feel (like you're locked down to the road). The nice thing about being on the Highway above speeds of 75mph in Dynamic mode is that the car hunkers down an additional quarter inch.

Acceleration has still yet to be determined since I have not taken my baby aboe 4,000rpm, but I suspect that there is plenty of power in that last 2,000rpm or so.

The seating is so comfortable and infinitely adjustable to the nth degree.

The MMI is really simple to use. I've tried the BMW idrive and it sucks compared to the intuitive MMI. I can't wait til the phone cradle becomes available and I can get the fully integrated system online.

As far as the looks I've been getting....Everyone seems to look at it and know that it's an Audi (obviuosly the four rings), but they see the 19"rims and know that it is a phat ride. I actually like just driving around in it (something I never used to do). I'm actually looking for reasons to get into my car. "Honey, don't worry about that, I'll return that movie rental for you", heh-heh.

I will take some pictures today when I get home and post some more. I have a guy coming to tint the windows soon. Other than that I don't think there are many mods I will do.

Love it...

-P
Old 07-01-2003, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Tinted windows will look great!

What are you going with? I have 35%, go something darker than that! Maybe a 20 or 25%? Would look mean!

Now to plug the ross-tech tool into it and to figure out how to trick it to stay a little lower than the computer thinks it is.....you can do it to the allroad!

That would be a free mod!

pw
Old 07-01-2003, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Driving Impressions of my 2004 A8 (not that long)

Congrats again Pots! My dealer has told me that because I have ordered the 19" wheels that I should consider a high performance all-weather tire. he claims that without the retrofit, winter driving will be like driving down Killington Mt. on ice. I have looked into the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Tire Rack wants $314.00 each. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Greenie

04 A8L silver/black 19" wheels (Aug. Del)
Old 07-01-2003, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't get winter tires, get 18" winter wheels with all season tires

You don't want to change your tires back and forth, get a set of 18" wheels and then you won't ruin your 19" wheel during the winter.

Paul
Old 07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Don't get winter tires, get 18" winter wheels with all season tires

Paul, I have heard good things about the Michelins from other Quattro drivers as to their winter and dry performance so if I mount them right from the start and keep them on the car, wont that suffice? Thanks Paul.

Greenie

04 A8L silver/black (Aug.del)

00 Corvette Roadster triple black
02 Acura RSX black/black
Old 07-01-2003, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The A8L comes with Pirelli Rosso's

I drove them with the 19" wheel on the Chicago Motor Speedway at the quattro challenge.

They are nice and sticky and you can drive them hard into corners.

You'll find that the 19" wheel has too small of a sidewall for winter conditions. The Rosso will get really hard (harsh ride) below 40 F ambient.

It's really nice to have performance wheels in the summer, and winter (or all season) tires/wheels in the winter. The 18" will have less potential to bend going over potholes. Plus you need a different compound that doesn't get hard in low ambient temperatures.

There's even a page about it on audipages.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/wintersummertires.html">Summer versus Winter tires - Do you really need both of them? Hint: YES!</a></li></ul>
Old 07-01-2003, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: The A8L comes with Pirelli Rosso's

So now I have to invest in wheels as well as tires? My dealer sold me on the advantages of Quattro winter driving. Caveat Emptor! Maybe I should keep my Acura RL!
Old 07-01-2003, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I go about doing that?

I'll probably go with 25% and see if I can get away with it.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Don't get winter tires, get 18" winter wheels with all season tires...Agreed!

The only real way too go. No problems with tires going out of balance, I've done this with pie plates on my A6 and with my Porsche 993 Cab Gemballa/Yokahama AVS setup vs my stock 18" turbo wheels. It also let's you keep your summer wheels in pristine condition.

Potsie, congrats again with that beautiful ride!
I'll be picking up mine next week...after the kids trash out my wifes allroad during the July 4th weekend.

Mods I'll be doing include:

Tinted Windows

Phatnoise Box (60 Gig)

V.60 Phone cradle

DVD/TV/Playstation 2 in Headrests

Stratmosphere or equivalent additional front &amp; rear floor mats (since my car is Beige/Lt. Beige

Tip Chip when available

18" Winter wheel/tire setup for the NY area

Thank God I'm on vacation this week...the wait is killing me!
Old 07-01-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: How do I go about doing that? Paul do you have/know the procedure?

Quick Reply: Driving Impressions of my 2004 A8 (not that long)