A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXHAUST UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST UPGRADE

hi all. looking to upgrade my exhaust on a budget and wondered if any other audi or vw exhaust would fit
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd sell my S8 exhaust if I ever get around to doing the dual custom job I had planned...otherwise you can go entirely custom for not a ton of $. I've got a bunch of Magnaflow parts sitting around in the garage...the plan was to swap in x-pipe in place of h-pipe, go into dual round mufflers (dual #10415 if I recall) in place of resonators, and delete rear mufflers altogether. I also have a pair of 996 TT tips that fit the space perfectly, but need to cut the valance to accept passenger side routing. I also bought some high grade adhesive heat shield material for protecting spare tire well.

Now you may have motivated me enough to go get my exhaust work done.

Last edited by S8ilver; 10-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you think changing just the H pipe to the X pipe would make a considerable sound difference?

Im sure with the V8 breathing better it would feel better, but what about sound? hmmmm... Im thinking about just changing that and a new K&N drop in.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

glad to hear it. get it done and show me the pictures
Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just ordered the SuperSprint X-Pipe and K&N Filter.

Doing some winter prep on her.

X - Pipe
K&N Filter
Trans Fluid Flush & Filter
Front Plate Delete
Buff exterior
Wheel Spacers

Ill try to do a before and after video of the exhaust and get it on here. Will be 2 weeks or so until parts arrive and such. Ill keep you posted.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I want to do exhaust as well. I planned out about $550 in parts from the downpipes back, no cats, v-banded 2.5", two dual Magnaflow x-mufflers.

I like the idea of 996TT tips. Might have to look into those when I get there.

I have my S8 exhaust off if anyone is interested in it. Its not light, very long, and would be expensive to ship, but could be done. Located in Central NY.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by crispy222
I want to do exhaust as well. I planned out about $550 in parts from the downpipes back, no cats, v-banded 2.5", two dual Magnaflow x-mufflers.

I like the idea of 996TT tips. Might have to look into those when I get there.

I have my S8 exhaust off if anyone is interested in it. Its not light, very long, and would be expensive to ship, but could be done. Located in Central NY.
So when you say "two dual" you're basically tracing the stock set up of front muffler/resonator + rear muffler, but doing a dual. Is this correct? I heard a set up in my shop of the x-pipe into the round Magnaflow with a rear muffler delete (also had magnaflow x-pipe and stock cats left in place). It sounded MEAN. This is the route I'll start with; if it drones I could always go back and add rear boxes to smooth out the tone. Without cats, will you get CEL's?

My dad bought a MB SL600 last year and it has the Porsche Turbo tips on it. I've always loved the look of them, but hadn't thought of them on other cars. I trolled Ebay for a couple weeks and finally found a set at a price I could live with. They're made by Eisenmann and the set I found looks basically like new.

I guess I'll have a full uncut S8 exhaust when I'm done as well, at least from cat-back.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by '01-S8
Just ordered the SuperSprint X-Pipe and K&N Filter.

Doing some winter prep on her.

X - Pipe
K&N Filter
Trans Fluid Flush & Filter
Front Plate Delete
Buff exterior
Wheel Spacers

Ill try to do a before and after video of the exhaust and get it on here. Will be 2 weeks or so until parts arrive and such. Ill keep you posted.
All this exhaust hype has got me motivated again. It's so hard to find the time for this stuff sometimes!

I finally did the front plate delete as well. It's CO law to run a front plate, but my Bronco's never had one and I've never been stopped. I was lucky to find one in Silver on Ebay ($50 and free shipping...not sure how I managed that deal).

Which type of spacers? I've heard great things about the DRA spacers (the type you bolt to hub first before bolting on wheels), and mixed feelings on the type where you just use longer bolts. I'm about to put the stock wheels (winter setup) back on, and had considered ordering a set. What size were you thinking? 5 10 15 20?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S8ilver
All this exhaust hype has got me motivated again. It's so hard to find the time for this stuff sometimes!

I finally did the front plate delete as well. It's CO law to run a front plate, but my Bronco's never had one and I've never been stopped. I was lucky to find one in Silver on Ebay ($50 and free shipping...not sure how I managed that deal).

Which type of spacers? I've heard great things about the DRA spacers (the type you bolt to hub first before bolting on wheels), and mixed feelings on the type where you just use longer bolts. I'm about to put the stock wheels (winter setup) back on, and had considered ordering a set. What size were you thinking? 5 10 15 20?

I got my plate delete on here from another member for $85 I think. Was the wrong black though. Oh well.

For the spacers, I think im gonna do 10 up front and 20 in the back. Yea idk how i feel about just using longer bolts. What ones were you thinking of getting?

Im think im gonna get the 18" RS4 Euro reps for cheap that my snow tires will fit perfect.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by '01-S8
For the spacers, I think im gonna do 10 up front and 20 in the back. Yea idk how i feel about just using longer bolts. What ones were you thinking of getting?
I believe the smallest DRA spacer is 20mm (so that the wheel bolts have enough "meat" to grab onto before bottoming out on the hubs)...I only know of the H&R version and they're around $150/pair on the Bay. A bit pricey, but I won't skimp on anything that stops me or keeps me connected to the road! But, is 20mm too wide, especially up front???

Quick Reply: EXHAUST UPGRADE