A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing a dig/scratch in the vinyl of the dash? ARGH.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fixing a dig/scratch in the vinyl of the dash? ARGH.

Unbelieveably, one of my wonderful children put a couple of scratches right in the (I think the material is vinyl based) top of the dashboard.

The marks are less than .5" long, but they are right in the line of sight, one above the radio console, the other directly about the glove box. The one is a real dig in that there is a tiny amount of the material missing.

Obviously I am sick about this...not sure if there is some product out there that "fills in" this sort of thing or if I am looking at a whole new (and I am sure whopping expensive) part...

Crying in my coffee this morning.

JB
Old 05-31-2003, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a bummer! What happened? Bit, banged, cut, hammered, hit it with what? Picture?
Old 05-31-2003, 06:38 AM

Default You can try vinyl/leather repair kit...

where they give you a color palate of resin, a heating probe, like a soldering gun, and a texturing leaf. Using those, you can match the color, texture, and fill in the crack and flatten it. I have used it to fill in the cell phone screw holes on the side of the center console, and one can hardly tell unless you stare at it because I didn't match the color perfectly. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2003, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Fixing a dig/scratch in the vinyl of the dash? ARGH.

There are companies that speicalize in vinyl and leather repairs. Usually your dealer will know who the local guy is. They usually drive vans with all the equipment they need to make such repairs.

Call your dealer and ask the service advisor who they use to repair vinyl and leather damage...if they don't know they're idiots...then ask the used car manager...he should know because they use this service all the time fixing such damage when they get a trade with a cell phone screwed to the center console and such.

Thought I'd add that years ago I worked for an Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Land Rover dealer. We had these type of repairs done all the time. Even to the extent that Audi & Mercedes would pay for the repair if if meant that they did not have to pay for a new door panel, seat cover or dash. Some of these items were considered Warranty if things like seatbelt retractors were not working properly and the seatbelt buckle got caught between the door and the seat damaging either the door panel or the side of the seat. Also, when we had to remove a dash to replace or repair blower motors, wire harness and such the technician may have had collateral damage.

Anyway, moral of the story is that the companies that do such vinyl and leather repair have all the tricks to make it right and look as good as new....you'll never even know it happened : > }

Frank
Old 06-01-2003, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Looks like my daughters book bag...!

Mom decided to pick up the kids in Dad's car...looks like my little angel was in a hurry getting out and pushed he book bag onto the dash while reaching for something on the floor. She's got all sorts of crap hanging off that book bag. <sigh>

Needless to say ALL such items are to be placed into the trunk BEFORE any little people enter the car....

JB<ul><li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/johnbyrne/PhotoAlbum23.html">My S8</a></li></ul>
Old 06-01-2003, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks! I am going to have it

looked at in a week or so. I am much calmer now. The scratches are really small.

But you know how it is, when you want the best car you have ever imagined owning to stay perfect...well, you want it to be perfect!

JB