A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front control arm set fitted by Audi Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front control arm set fitted by Audi Dealer

I had the complete front control arm set that I purchased from Andre in Germany fitted to my 1997 S8 by my local Audi dealer today, also track rod ends and a CV joint boot as well as the transmission fluid changed.

The service manager was down to earth and offered to do the transmission oil change for 1 hours labour to see if it improved my gearbox problems, so that they could do the same for others if it worked. I gave them the Audi Pages print out and they were happy to use it. I was also pleased that they agreed to fit the non genuine parts I suppied.

He pointed out that although Audi are expensive on labour charges, once one control arm is charged for each additional arm only costs a few minutes extra to fit, so the complete set was charged out at 6 hours work, plus the track rod ends and a stearing geometry check at an extra 30 minutes. Total charge 6.5 hours, which I was very impressed with.

The good news is that the parts fitted fine (no comments at all) and the gearbox feels smoother although I have not fully tested it yet.

The outer CV boot was charged for at 50 minutes, so the total bill including UK 17.5% Tax was £645 (Approx $1,100), which I think for a dealer was excellent.

The dealer is John Fox Audi of Nottingham, England. You read bad reports about Stealers, so I thought I should spread some good news where it is earned.

I was ging to do this job myself, but I think it would have taken me more than 2 days and a lot of blood sweat and tears, as well as bad languague!!

So the car is almost up to scratch now, just needs the stereo fixing and I am away. The only problem is that our petrol prices have gone up to over £5.00 per gallon ($9.00), which means that it will cost £80 ($144) to fill the tank!

Hope your contol arm sets go on OK as well.

Good luck!

Alan S.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds great, big change in ride/handling??
Old 06-03-2004, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yikes....on the tank fill up cost...

I found a new Exon station on the way home from office last night, that just opened this week, ( on Roswell Rd, in Sandy Springs - JimR ) that has 93 Octane for $1.99 a gallon.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sounds great, big change in ride/handling??

Hi Paul

The car seems a little tighter, but I did not notice a big difference so far. In fact the only reason I had the arm changed was because of the creaking noises!

I decided that it was probably better to have everything changed at once and get it over with.

I will throw it around in the next week and let you know how it feels, particularly at high speed. Although this car has blown my mind since I bought it anyway, it is almost as much fun as my 993 and I would say more fun at very high speeds because of its sure footed roadholding.

Has anyone had the new control arm set fitted in the US yet??

Alan S.