A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump assembly knowledge needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the diagrams, but I've got a problem.

I've got the replacment pump, from VDO, correct everything there.

But, the long bolt was very tight, and when it finally turned, there was a loud pop in the tank, and then it just turns and makes squeeking noise. The bolt never comes out at all, just turns.

Tried to tighten it, and it just turns and squeeks.

I'm pretty sure the captured nut in the system has turned in the plastic that captured it, and now what?

Clearly, unless the long bolt is REMOVED, the pump housing is NOT coming out of the fuel tank.

And even if we get the fuel pump housing out, the captured nut is way down there, in the siphon assy, is that removeable?

It would awesome if the siphon assy could be removed, and the nut repaired, or epoxy used to fit it into place.

Or is my only choice to buy a used tank and pump assy, and then put my new pump into it...?

Either way, this sucks.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated at this point.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adjuster
Love the diagrams, but I've got a problem.

I've got the replacment pump, from VDO, correct everything there.

But, the long bolt was very tight, and when it finally turned, there was a loud pop in the tank, and then it just turns and makes squeeking noise. The bolt never comes out at all, just turns.

Tried to tighten it, and it just turns and squeeks.

I'm pretty sure the captured nut in the system has turned in the plastic that captured it, and now what?

Clearly, unless the long bolt is REMOVED, the pump housing is NOT coming out of the fuel tank.

And even if we get the fuel pump housing out, the captured nut is way down there, in the siphon assy, is that removeable?

It would awesome if the siphon assy could be removed, and the nut repaired, or epoxy used to fit it into place.

Or is my only choice to buy a used tank and pump assy, and then put my new pump into it...?

Either way, this sucks.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated at this point.

Hey man, sorry to hear about your difficulties. I didn't have this prob so my knowledge on it is limited. I do seem to remember if the nut breaks its a new tank but don't quote me.
There are a few posts on here about it tho so have a dig around. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fuel Pump Removal and Install

These You Tube Videos helped me with mine. I think you have the same?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fuel Pump and Other Parts - For Future Reference

This outfit had my particular pump. I originally tried VDO with no luck, found a guy in Romania and another one in UK. These guys are in the US. They have had some difficult-to-get parts for my particular car. Maybe they can do the same for you.

www.AutoPartsNetwork.com
Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stooshmobile
Hi mate,

Im shady on some areas too but the way i understand it is this-

The pump is fits into the pump assembly (the big plastic white blob ) which is then seated in the "cup" . The pump has 3 ports on it. The top one sends to the rail and the larger of the bottom ones picks up fuel and sends it to the top. The other bottom one sends fuel down to the bottom of the tank. That jet of fuel drives some little pumps at the bottom that in turn send fuel back up to the cup assembly and fills it up.

My problem was that i had the right pump but the unit was faulty which led me on a red herring hunt.

Get the right pump like the one shown in an earlier post on this thread. follow the ignition parts link and get one shipped.

All you have to do then is get the assembly out (which is rather involved) swap out the pump and reinstall it.

ive attached a few photos that ive collected from here and other places.

Hope it helps.
If it is not abusive from my part, would anyone have the meaning of all those numbers?

And.... how can I find (online) a downloadable service manual of my model?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Guys99A8.

Thanks for all the details that you sent on video.

Mine is a 1995 V8 Audi A8 that sounds funny when the tank gets half empty. Filling it up quits the noise.

On your opinion, will I need a new pump? Do you think that mine if fixable?

I'm located in São Paulo, Brazil, and I don't think that I will find parts here.

Another thing... Do you think that I could install some other pump in this car? Maybe some high performance part made for racing or tunned cars (turbos, nitros, etc). I do not intend to boost my engine. The idea is just to use some part that would be easier to find and enough powerfull to attend to this 4.2 litters motor.

I just made a video that show the noise that I mention here:

-

Thanks

Angelo Marzolla
...by the way, you can find me on Facebook if you want to chat about it.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hey Angelo

Originally Posted by angelo.marzolla
Hi Guys99A8.

Thanks for all the details that you sent on video.

Mine is a 1995 V8 Audi A8 that sounds funny when the tank gets half empty. Filling it up quits the noise.

On your opinion, will I need a new pump? Do you think that mine if fixable?

I'm located in São Paulo, Brazil, and I don't think that I will find parts here.

Another thing... Do you think that I could install some other pump in this car? Maybe some high performance part made for racing or tunned cars (turbos, nitros, etc). I do not intend to boost my engine. The idea is just to use some part that would be easier to find and enough powerfull to attend to this 4.2 litters motor.

I just made a video that show the noise that I mention here:

- https://youtu.be/-zdNp58IV7k

Thanks

Angelo Marzolla
...by the way, you can find me on Facebook if you want to chat about it.

From the video it sounds like your pump is failing. When you fill the tank the fuel makes the sound much quieter and as the fuel drops it becomes noisy. You will need a new pump and it can ONLY be a perfect replacement from the links above. I would not recommend trying any other part. Good luck. Stoosh.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Agree with Stoosh. I had a similar sound and within 2 months my car would not start due the pump was not supplying gas to the engine at start-up, based off diagnostics test by Audi service tech.

Personal Rant
Interestingly thou, I had my Audi dealer install a new pump (4/27) and they've failed miserably! When I picked up the car with new fuel pump, tank was 8/10 full, I could hear the pump whirling. Took it back to them. I was told the tech "over tightened" the pump when installing and he had fixed the issue. Sound was gone but came back when tank was 1/2 full and the car ended up stalling out on me on a major road with lots of traffic during the weekend (5/5).

Took my car back to the dealer (5/9). They installed a brand new pump, second one in two weeks. I told my service advisor to drain the tank to 1/4 full and make sure the car didn't stall out. Picked it up Friday (5/11) and was told "all is fixed and car runs fine". Took the car for a quick spin after picking it up. Within 10 miles car stalled out while I was going 70mph on the Interstate. I had to abandon my car because it would not start. By the way, the whirling sounds was still there.

Went back to the dealer and told them to go get my car, give me a loaner and figure out what is going on. I am very concerned the Audi dealer is going to ruin my car.

Angelo: My advise is buy the parts yourself. Watch all the videos around installing new pumps and give it a try yourself.

Good luck.

Last edited by 2001 S8; 05-12-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Some interesting information:

Original OE Part Numbers
  • AUDI 4D0 906 091 C
  • AUDI 4D0 906 091
  • siemans 4D0906091
  • SIEMENS 405-052-002-001Z
  • SIEMENS 405052002001Z
  • SIEMENS 405052002001

HK-4312B_Products_Zhejiang Hengguang Automobile Parts Co., Ltd.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...760658031.html

This last one is just st $10.

Regards

Angelo Marzolla

Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No!!!!!!

Don’t do it! Lol

Quick Reply: Fuel pump assembly knowledge needed...