A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump assembly knowledge needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend using the official instructions from
https://erwin.audi.com/ or https://erwin.audiusa.com/
The 1 hour access plan allows you to easily download all the ~ 50 PDFs for the D2 with all repair instructions and the circuit diagrams for the car.
It's those 6 pages you need (here in German):
https://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/ben...203807187.html

I have done this work myself using the instructions from Audi. Almost all videos on Youtube show a way to rotate the pump assembly to get it in or out that is actually different from the instructions Audi provides. To avoid any damage by breaking off colliding parts, I just stuck to the way Audi describes in their workshop manual. And never use any brutal force if something gets stuck.

Also it would actually be a good idea to use the VDO 405-052-002-001Z replacement part. Several people in German internet forums have described fuel pressure issues after a few months with 3rd-party pumps that are just not up for the task. It's not a real pleasant work environment sitting in the trunk, wearing a special full face gas mask against fuel vapors and trying to get that assembly in again without breaking anything. I was quite happy when that task was finished and the new VDO pump just continued working correctly after months had passed.

If you have the assembly removed, it's best to wiggle out the old pump and in the new VDO pump from the top without disassembling the white plastic housing:
https://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/wec...208131122.html
You just have to use one or two screwdrivers to slightly bend the two tabs holding the pump while pulling the old pump out with some wiggling.
This way the plastic will not break and you won't have issues getting the two halves together with the o-ring again.

When putting the new VDO pump in, take care that it is aligned properly and inserts fully into the fuel pump housing.

Last edited by johnnya; 05-12-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stooshmobile
Don’t do it! Lol

I wouldn’t do it. Play with cheap electric products inside my fuel tank.... Too risky.

But I may buy one just to do some stress test on a bench. It’s a small investment that might be fun. If I do it, I’ll share the results.

Too much temptation to be cheap.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adjuster
Love the diagrams, but I've got a problem.

I've got the replacment pump, from VDO, correct everything there.

But, the long bolt was very tight, and when it finally turned, there was a loud pop in the tank, and then it just turns and makes squeeking noise. The bolt never comes out at all, just turns.

Tried to tighten it, and it just turns and squeeks.

I'm pretty sure the captured nut in the system has turned in the plastic that captured it, and now what?

Clearly, unless the long bolt is REMOVED, the pump housing is NOT coming out of the fuel tank.

And even if we get the fuel pump housing out, the captured nut is way down there, in the siphon assy, is that removeable?

It would awesome if the siphon assy could be removed, and the nut repaired, or epoxy used to fit it into place.

Or is my only choice to buy a used tank and pump assy, and then put my new pump into it...?

Either way, this sucks.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated at this point.

You have three(3) options:
1. Try removing the bolt with an impact wrench. the vibration and shock might work where a regular socket wrench fails.

2. Use my insane method of cutting the head off the bolt, drilling down an inch or so to remove the top shoulder, then use a diy foot long hole saw to cut the ear off the the fuel pump assembly down inside the tank. You will need to replace the bolt, of course and the complete fuel pump assembly. Order up a new bolt and fuel pump assembly and you will clearly see what has to be done. Here is the write-up when I did it:

Fuel Pump removal from hell

I think I still have the ghetto-tastic hole saw in my tool cabinet.

christmas_2008_001.jpg

I was only slightly drunk when I made it , but ran out of shielding gas so, the blobs of weld are pretty fugly. Anyway, if you need to borrow it, send me an email and I'll drop it in the mail. I'm in Northern California.

3. Lube your rectum and bring it to a dealer or a shop. Their method is remove the exhaust, drop the rear subframe..suspension and all, remove the fuel tank,install a new tank and put it all back together. Total lunacy.
When my bolt wouldn't come out, I tried locating a used fuel tank on car-part.com with no success, but that was 12 years ago. You might be able to find a fuel pump assembly used, replace the actual pump, use that bolt, and cut all of your crap out.

When you have the replacement parts in hand, you can start to figure out how it all works and what options you have for getting the offending bolt out.

No fun. Good luck,

Brian C.