A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is going to hurt. Six speed manual.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all for the compliments!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:04 PM
FAQ Author

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ahhh.. so now i know the post on the b5 board. congrats!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Final touch.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/160378.phtml">update</a></li></ul>
Old 09-14-2013, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there to all, i have tried to reach Tozo directly but without any result, so maybe some of you could help me too. I have a 2000 A8 4.2, of course with an automatic tranny. The car has driven 240k km and the trany has a problem with reverse gear ( it goes reverse but cant reverse uphill and when i push the gas pedal it doesnt accelerate in R, just reving the engine ). So this is my problem and i decided to solve it once and for all with a manual tranny. Im waiting only for the right S8 with it. Now i have the chance to buy a 97' S8 M6 with a blown engine. The question is: fits the clutch and the gearbox the newer 40V A8 engine or does it need any fabrication? And the next question would be about the electronics, but that is not the point now. I just have to know if i can buy that S8 or not, thank you.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Junyo
Hi there to all, i have tried to reach Tozo directly but without any result, so maybe some of you could help me too. I have a 2000 A8 4.2, of course with an automatic tranny. The car has driven 240k km and the trany has a problem with reverse gear ( it goes reverse but cant reverse uphill and when i push the gas pedal it doesnt accelerate in R, just reving the engine ). So this is my problem and i decided to solve it once and for all with a manual tranny. Im waiting only for the right S8 with it. Now i have the chance to buy a 97' S8 M6 with a blown engine. The question is: fits the clutch and the gearbox the newer 40V A8 engine or does it need any fabrication? And the next question would be about the electronics, but that is not the point now. I just have to know if i can buy that S8 or not, thank you.
Everything will work, but you need a new flywheel with 8 bolts. The '97 will have a 10 bolt crank.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My big decision

The transmission failed yesterday on my beloved 01 S8 and I have a big decision to make. It has 140k miles and is in overall excellent condition, everything works and engine is strong. As far as I can tell from the gurus here I have three options:

1. Rebuild auto tranny - cost is more than car is worth!
2. Part out car - sell the major items, get a little cash and move on.
3. Do a major surgery manual conversion and have an enthusiast auto but probably lots of headaches.

Feedback and advice appreciated.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pbarrow
The transmission failed yesterday on my beloved 01 S8 and I have a big decision to make. It has 140k miles and is in overall excellent condition, everything works and engine is strong. As far as I can tell from the gurus here I have three options:

1. Rebuild auto tranny - cost is more than car is worth!
2. Part out car - sell the major items, get a little cash and move on.
3. Do a major surgery manual conversion and have an enthusiast auto but probably lots of headaches.

Feedback and advice appreciated.
Just got a rebuild on my 97 A8. For me it's cheaper than buying another car, which most likely also needs works done.

If you're really interesting in a conversion, why not consider putting in a 6, 7, or even 8 speed auto (or 6 speed manual, but in which case you'll have to make a big hole on the firewall and replace the paddles) and convert your S8 to RWD? There're some videos of RWD Audis on Youtube. They seem quite good. I suppose those ppl just removed the front axles and welded the central diff, but if you're changing the entire transaxle with it's going to be even better. Audi's transaxle is quite large; I'm sure there's enough space for any gearbox alone (i.e. minus two differentials). Modding the subframe is probably necessary.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I the car is in excellent condition, have it rebuilt. You should be able to get it done for less than 4k dollars. Where are you located?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TerminA8r
I the car is in excellent condition, have it rebuilt. You should be able to get it done for less than 4k dollars. Where are you located?
Denver. I have read a lot of stories in this forum about rebuilt transmissions that didn't last or have ongoing problems, very few stories of successful rebuilds without issues? If I can pull off a successful conversion at least I will have a rare car that may be more salable later?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreamhope
If you're really interesting in a conversion, why not consider putting in a 6, 7, or even 8 speed auto (or 6 speed manual, but in which case you'll have to make a big hole on the firewall and replace the paddles) and convert your S8 to RWD? There're some videos of RWD Audis on Youtube. They seem quite good. I suppose those ppl just removed the front axles and welded the central diff, but if you're changing the entire transaxle with it's going to be even better. Audi's transaxle is quite large; I'm sure there's enough space for any gearbox alone (i.e. minus two differentials). Modding the subframe is probably necessary.
I have read about and seen a couple 6 spd conversions but none mentioned the requirement to go RWD. I need AWD here in Colorado.

Quick Reply: This is going to hurt. Six speed manual.