A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a call from Audi, they want to give me a different

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unless we hear from another owner about this....

rubbing in the steering column, I think we should assume that this is an isolated problem and that Audi just wants to mop it up before bad press starts leaking about about early build quality...I haven't heard any steering noise complaints from any others on this board or elsewhere...
The REAL test will be how Dinan gets treated during this fiasco..will he
a) get the same car he previously ordered?
b) get it quickly? (ahead of others with cars on order...he should)
c) get some extras thrown in for his trouble?

That will be the true measure of how Audi is prepared to play in the big leagues with BMW and MB
Old 07-09-2003, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Seat ventilation

MB, I dont want to hear that we have really ordered Chrysler A8L`S!!! Ouch!!

greenie
Old 07-09-2003, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Patience my son....

Let's see how AoA and Audi HQ respond to this...that is the true measure of Chryslerdom vs. Audi's aspired service level....
Old 07-09-2003, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Patience my son....

I have to believe that Audi, having invested so much in this launch, will get to the bottom of all of these glitches. Its just so painful to watch especially for me who hasnt had this level of excitement since Ford bought Jaguar!!(What does that mean?) I am still loking forward to the delivery of my wheels. Hopefully by late Aug. most of these issues will be non-issues. If they arent, I`ll wait until they are. Once this car is right, IT WILL BE RIGHT!!
Old 07-09-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Here is my summary thus far...

The seat ventilation still doesn't seem to work right. The shift is crisp again from 2nd to 3rd, happened about 10 minutes after I left the dealership. The German tech must have spent over 1 hour reprogramming my tranny and I'm back to square 1 again. The steering, according to the Audi Area Rep, has a valve control problem where it is suppose to release but it's not doing it. They claim that they want to replace the entire steering column rather than just the valve, but down side is that there are no parts in the US cuz the car is so new.
I will wait and see what happens. I will, this time DEMAND that Audi step up or I swear I will pay $ to either the Washington Post or Wall Street Journal to take out an ad or even a column. I think this is becoming a bit pathetic. It's not like the MMI doesn't work right, where it is not a hazard, we're talking steering rack, and having spoken to a mechaninc, it is a major job and should be considered a defect/lemon. If they give me "options" I will take another A8L in Silver and Blue interior and ALL options on their nickel (if they can get me this right away) or tell them to give me a RS6 at the same price I got the current A8L for.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Here is my summary thus far...

Dinan, it doesnt qualify as a lemon yet. You could demand a "collateral exchange" and see what happens. This would give you a new car exactly like the one you are driving, although at this point, Audi would probably entertain other options if you wanted them. let me know the outcome.

greenie
Old 07-09-2003, 07:02 PM

You're right, but damn the car was sold to me "BROKEN"
Old 07-09-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: You're right, but damn the car was sold to me "BROKEN"

I'm not sur eof the laws in your state, but in NJ if a car is out of service for 30 days or more it qualifies as a lemon. It seems to me with the steering problem your car coul dbe considered unsafe. If they have no part to fix it, I would think you coudl easily get a new car from them without any legal action on your part. As you said, they are trying to protect the reoutation of a car that almost all car mags have given stellar reviews to.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Got a call from Audi, Dinan, take them up on there offer and get the replacement car

I agree, but don't go for the phatnoise system. It isn't compatible with the car!
Old 07-09-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Re: It appears as though they are seperate fan motors

The cooling seats in my SL did not seem to do a thing, and yet I was told on a really hot day they would. I frankly never noticed a difference, so perhaps the small temp. change is al lyou can ever get in any car.

Quick Reply: Got a call from Audi, they want to give me a different