A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Rear door wont open in or outside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Rear door wont open in or outside!

Hey Audi fans...I have a 1997 A8 4.2 Quattro.My wife recently came to me with a "honey-do" problem.The driver side rear door wouldn't open from the outside. Luckily it still opened from the inside. So,I removed the inner door panel, and the whole panel that holds the glass/window track assembly.I checked all the linkages to both the outer and inner door handles.They seemed to be operating perfect.However,the door latch would still not release using the outside door handle.Well,I was doing this outside in my driveway, and it started to look like rain but I still had no solution to my issue,so I decided to button it up for the day.I assembled everything back exactly as I took it apart and closed the door.The next time I went to open the door from the inside, my worst nightmare came true! It wouldn't open from the outside OR inside! I havent touched it since,as I am now STUMPED as what to do from here.The door panel cannot be removed while the door is shut and it does not look like there are any other access "holes" to get to the cable that runs off the inside door handle.Im open to any and ALL suggestions and would be most grateful to someone who could help me out.Mind you I am an ASE certified mechanic, and this door handle has me trumped! It makes me furious!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re:HELP! Rear door wont open in or outside!

Were you able to get it open? I was thinking that you might be able to remove the interior door handle assembly and possibly pull on the cable (my 90 90 had that, I assume Audi still uses a cable.) Maybe you've already tried that. If worse came to worse I suppose you may decide to sacrifice the interior door panel and cut it off to get to the lock mechanism Scares me cuz I just got an '02 L and need to take BOTH rear panels off to reconnect the windows which the prev owner disconnected due to carting children around in the back seat. I'm gonna be extra cautious now
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

If both rear windows are not working, it might be the "lockout" switch on the driver door panel. I'd start there...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CJ Miller
If both rear windows are not working, it might be the "lockout" switch on the driver door panel. I'd start there...
I was thinking along the same lines!
Why would you physically unplug rear windows when they can be locked out from the master panel?!

As for the door, I think you might have to sacrifice the door panel - unless you can get the door handle off on the inside to get more leverage on the cable...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=twentysevenlitres;24475400]I was thinking along the same lines!
Why would you physically unplug rear windows when they can be locked out from the master panel?!

I agree, but that is what he told me he did. I hope he didn't lie. I know where he lives.....
Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice handle name Mattimus Prime : ) My son has named my car Nemesis, name of the Decepticon ship in Transformers Prime. So I guess that makes me Megatron : )

Sorry had to post. Transform geek out.