A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't know which is more uselesss

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know which is more uselesss

My A8 or vag-com. I have a '99 A8, it is on it's fourth transmission. This past year I had the head gasket replaced, new radiator, new front suspension (control arms, tie rod ends etc), oil cooler coolant pipe replaced, rear passenger side window motor. I have spent about $12,000 in the past year on this hunk of junk.

Currently it seems like the steering pump is going out. The airbag light, ABS light have been on along with the flashing brake light for 6 months or so.

I purchased vag-com form Ross Tech in November to check the codes on the airbag and ABS light. In the time that I have attempted to diagnose the problem, vag-com has only been able to read the airbag and brake modules once. I have replaced the sensor that vag-com indicated was the problem but have not been able to get vag-com to read the modules to clear the codes. In fact, vag-com will only read the engine, transmission, HVAC and radio modules and will not recognize any other modules. Vag-com has proven to be about as worthless as this "flagship" german pile of cr*p!

This is my third Audi and my last. I am going to take a sledge hammer to the car and see how strong the aluminum body panels are. Anyone that would like to join me is welcome to.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what version of vag do you have?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: what version of vag do you have?

Release 607.3

The guys at Rosstech said that there is a problem with the car, that's why the lights are on.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you checked for moisture around the ECU?

All to often there are multiple electrical issues from this problem.
Vag-com is a great program with stunning back up and for me has changed ownership of my A8 enormously.
Good luck
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For most users, VAG-COM works very well. So standard computer/car troubleshooting applies

... like seeing whether the Ross-tech cable works with another car or another PC. I don't know if you'll find that something running on your PC is messing with VAG-COM's timely access to the port, or something's wrong with the cable, or something's wrong with the K-wire. It's probably one of those.

As for German car reliability, yeah, it can be worse than modern Japanese or 35 year-old French cars. But your two prior Audis must have been young or unusually well behaved for neither to have warned what your third might be like. Post your sledgehammer exploits on YouTube; we'll live vicariously.

Tom
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ummm, maybe vag-com is working fine??

err, maybe you have an electrical issue with the airbag & brake modules? like, maybe the diagnostic line?

vag-com is a fantastic product. there are many people on this list and others who find it indespensible. do a bit of rudimentary diagnosis before you bag it...

as for the car, are you in love with it or something? you should have got rid of it a long time ago....

btw, many people would take the brake light being "on for 6 months or so" as a serious safety-related issue. apparently not you. live and learn, learn and live - or not as darwin pointed out...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Re: ummm, maybe vag-com is working fine??

UMMMMMMMM that's what vag-com says, so apparently the computers on this car don't work right either.

Why don't I get rid of it? Who would buy it? Would you? I have been trying to sell it, but no one wants it. I guess my choice is to spend $$$$$ more on new computers so that I can sell it.

As far as the brake light issue, unfortunately the ABS system works just fine. I would prefer that it didn't so that I could total this car.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 AM

Default Re: For most users, VAG-COM works very well. So standard computer/car troubleshooting applies

I don't necessarily agree with German cars less realiable as Japanese cars. I don't have similar issues with my Mercedes, my 2 earlier Audi's (both had close to 150k miles before I got rid of them) or my son's Porsche or his VW.

The transmission went out for the first time on this car at 70k miles. That should not happen to a Kia let alone a high end German car.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 AM

Default hahaha...sorry i feel ur frustrations

but "take a sledge hammer and see how strong the body panels are..." hilarous. =D
Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sometime if you have a bad ABS controller it will inhibit you from connecting with other modules.

Quick Reply: I don't know which is more uselesss