A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found a cheap Cell phone reception fix...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a cheap Cell phone reception fix...

I have just installed a wireless phone passive repeater antenna made by Case Logic. It works like this.... you mount a small two-inch antenna on the top of the rear window (pay special attention to place it above the rear defrost wire). Adjust the exterior antenna to a 45-degree. The kit comes with another small "T" style antenna that is to be mounted in an interior window. The directions state that the two antennas should not be placed no more than two feet apart. I first placed it on the rear window directly under the external mounted antenna and used the headliner to secure it (I have tinted windows so I couldn't use the two sided adhesive tape to mount it). I did this to test if this position was going to give me the best results. At this location I noticed no improvement in reception. I have the winter and summer package with the infamous signal blocking windows so I moved the inner antenna to the front window directly under the headliner near the rear-view mirror. This provided outstanding results even though it was outside of the specified two feet limit away from the exterior antenna. I noticed a one to two level increase on my Motorola V66 phone antenna signal strength indicator. I didn't experience the high level of dropped calls that I had prior to installing this antenna. The best part of this mod is that is cost me a grand total of $12.99 at Target. So give it a try it is fast, easy, and is fully revisable (and returnable) if you don't experience the same type of results. Oh, yea the specs say 820~896Mhz and I think T-mobile (my carrier) uses 900Mhz GSM so it is at the top end of the specified frequency but you will have to check with your carrier.
I will post some pics as soon as I can.

Here are the specs listed on the package:

§ Small, convenient antenna
§ Universal--Mounts to any glass surface
§ Adjusts to any angle
§ Transfers signal through glass to exterior antenna
§ Self-adhesive tape ensures easy mounting
§ No wiring is necessary
§ Gain: 3dB
§ Frequency: 820-896Mhz
§ Input Rating: 5 Watt Maximum
§ Impedance: 50 ohms