A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just bought a new Eibach Spring Pro Kit for my A8. $279 Shipped! And I would like some input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at those wimpy brakes on that thing!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Check my picture poster for more photos.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: I just bought a new Eibach Spring Pro Kit for my A8. $279 Shipped! And I would like some input

I have the Eidbach's on my car and i think
most of the comfort is gone , im thinking of geting some original springs for my A8.
(I think it was a kit with shock's and Springs)
Old 03-01-2004, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I have to agree with the post above - my .02 and now changed opinion

I replaced the OEM struts with the Bilsteins.
The car was really soft and borderline dangerous if you drove it hard. The Bilsteins were an improvement but I noticed that they had a smaller diameter tube than the Boge's I took off. They helped, but wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. I couldn't help but wonder why my 12 year old Lexus handled better. I then replaced the springs with the Eibachs. It helped the handling and lowered the car about 1.25 inches but I'm just not happy with the combination. It's somehow manages to be too stiff while at the same time still not handling all that great. If you hit a series of bumps, the back end will hop around and actually bounce you up in the seat. I think it's just a bad combination and I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Drive an S8. If you like the ride, buy S8 parts and retrofit. (Springs & Shocks)

Also, what wheel/tire combo do you have?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Bilstein makes HD and Sport versions of their shock. You need to get the Sport version if you have

lowering springs, they better match the spring rate and prevent the 'bounce' you describe.

Personally, give me bilsteins and tehn send them back and have them revalved another 20% firmer, and that's about right.

It is the spring that contributes more to harshness than the shock, by the way. The shock just controls the motion.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Interesting that you say that

This afternoon driving around I was thinking about this post and wondering how people who had the Bilstein/Eibachs like their set up, a few have done it recently.

When I did my research on what type of system to purchase, there were a few people who posted that I would not be happy with the set up you have. They convinced me that H&R's were the way to go.

And I have to say that the H&R set up is just about perfect. It can be harsh at times, plus you have to have tight suspension components, but does it work well!

It rebounds really nice, much nicer than stock.

So what are you thinking you'll do? How about putting the stock shocks back in the front and or rear with the new springs? Do you have that superwhamadime spring compressor?

I have a set of shocks, but I think you do to.

pw
Old 03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now that's interesting in a bad sort of way.. I have the HD's.

Thanks, that gives something to think about.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thought of that and figured that this setup was close to that

w/o actually ever driving an A8. Kind of stupid now that think about it. I should have done a little more homework.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know, getting a couple of ideas here.

I didn't save the old struts but I did save the springs. I think the old struts were shot regardless. OEM with the Eibachs might be an option. The firmness of the spring isn't bone jarring and maybe a better strut combo might do the trick. I assume that my issue(s) and displeasure are probably different than someone living in Fla or Texas. The winter roads are tough, especially this year. I do have the hydraulic spring compressor and will put it looks like I'll put it to use again.

Quick Reply: I just bought a new Eibach Spring Pro Kit for my A8. $279 Shipped! And I would like some input.