A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an 01 s8 looking for performance mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an 01 s8 looking for performance mod advice

Whats up i just bought an 01 s8 blk/blk and im looking to do a bit of upgrading to it. Specifically im looking for an itake, cat back exhaust and an ecu flash or upgrade. Was wondering what people out there have done how much it cost and what you recommend. Thanks in advance for your help.

-BQ
Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Really not much out there to improve on stock performance........

1. Brake upgrades (see RYoung's setup)
2. Cat back exhaust, a couple of options. Mostly sound improvement, not much performance increase.
3. There are ECU chip upgrades out there, but all reports indicate virtually no improvement.

Other than that, I'm not aware of anything else yet. There is a rumor of a supercharger in the works for the 4.2L 40V motor from a reputable source. If you find something from Motordyne, run, don't walk away.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default check out audipages.com for some cool upgrades (DIY mods).

I think Supersprint is the only one who makes a cat-back setup but i bet there is at least 1 or 2 more out there. H&R coilovers are do-able as well. Chip - dont do it. waste of money. LLTek makes/made an intake for the D2 (I have it) but i have no idea where to get it. Honestly, the stock box is the best design for that car. if you start messing with the air flow too much you will actually LOSE power rather than gain it like on the A4s, S4s, etc. The S8 is one of the few Audis out there that is not "detuned" for the US market too much. Anyway, good luck and welcome to the board. Post some pix for us to see!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default brakes, suspension (inc anti-sway bar), exhaust, intake ... not much else.

Smaaaaaaall market = no support.

Change your transmission's shift settings from "North America" to "Normal" to see a nice improvement there.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congrats Bobby! That's awesome, hope it works out well for you.

Like the guys said there are a few things you can do but like anything it's a law of how $ you want to spend / how big a difference will result.

There are also subtleties that can be addressed such as adding 15mm or even 20mm spacers to rid the infernal ET48 plague.

K&N panel filter for a bit more growl (if nothing else) which does make one giggle in addition to the already addictive wondrous melodic intake snarl.

Xpipe in lieu of H is another - I've still yet to get to mine, record before / after, etc. Tho I did note whilst under there last week the H is 'weeping' black so hacking in th X is win win when I get to it.

Swap on some uber wheels, or plus sized tires at the least.

Other interior bits can be thouht about to rns-d or whatever to upgrade Nav. Add phatnoise.

Just some ideas, but the basic chassis and powerplant delivery areas are pretty fab to begin with just need to 'you' the car some. Do not add 50w halogen reverse lights even tho you're gonna be tempted to with that tint - things go meltymelty.

Me I'd sort through the thing first cause @ 90k there *are* things to sort regardless of how good it is - only a matter of Auditime. Get to tbelt asap if not done yet, and I'd contact Bruce M. here for extended warrnty if it were me. $$$ well spent = $ well returned in a good ROI ratio.

Anyway - see you 8/25 Bobby, get back to me for further info.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: brakes, suspension (inc anti-sway bar), exhaust, intake ... not much else.

how do i change the transmission shift settings? is this something the dealer has to reporgram? Also noticed you have a milltek exaust hows it sound, where did u get it and how much was it?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the Transmission coding can be changed using VAG-COM software.

below is the link for the site where many of us have gotten the software/hardware. THis is a must have for the D2 A8/S8.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com">http://www.ross-tech.com</a</li></ul>
Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

not on the S only the A
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you go to a dealer ...

They will not understand, and tell you that changing settings in the computers to "unintended values" will void any warrantys and destroy your vehicle.

The Milltek exhaust has a great note, is less droney than other exhausts, is VERY thick stainless, and is normally 1500. I got mine on sale for 999.

Your best bet is to just ask someone who lives close to you to come over and reprogram your transmission controller with a VAGCOM they already own.