A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lot more information regarding the new A8

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will see the short wheelbase. Maybe as the S8.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

mid to high $60K going up to low $70K.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The fingerprint recognition security and access system is optional on the new A8

It will also be optional on the new A6 when that comes out in spring or summer of 2004 as a 2005. As for the Avantissimo, the styling/design is striking but highly gaudy and overstyled. So is the new BMW 7 Series but not as much as the Avantissimo.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, and we can't get the MB distronic in Canada. Maybe because of interference?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default woh, brother, hold on, why does it become an animosity thing, it's not about that, damn...

Let's start at the top A8 4.2 in US is top of the line right, I was being fair by not comparing it to the S600, but comparing to the S500 I think is very fair, the S500 only has 302HP, by the way, didn't I say it wouldn't be fair to compare the A8 to S600, that would be left up to the W12 A8, or V10 when the probably arrive. Considering the S430 is the base model MB S-Class why would u choose it to make the comparison, why wouldn't you choose the base model A8? The S500 has simalar hp, and similar performance times, 302HP and 0-60 6.0, versus's 335HP and 6.3 for the A8.

But you completely missed my point, I'm not talking about specific cars to cars, those numbers between the A8 and S500 are super close, it's the fact that as of right now there will be no A8 that can touch the times of S600 0-60 4.8, 500HP S600, if we are performance oriented then a "luxury" oriented brand should not be beating us at our own supposed game, of course 0-60 is not the end a ll be all, it was just a quick highlight a quick gauge. Bottom line is if we say we are performance oriented then Air Suspension should have been in the A8 along time ago, and the performance numbers whether it's a dragster or not should be better then your competitor, IMHO. The new A8 has made humongous strides in that direction. I was simply pointing out that it still has let other slip by it in the performance arena, however, once again, LET ME SAY IT LOUD AND CLEAR, I REALLY AM IMPRESSED WITH THE DIRECTION AUDI HAS TAKEN THE NEW A8 FEATURE WISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop taking every statement I make about Audi A8 as some attack, it's not, damn ... I am just commenting on the article and my perception of the A8, geez. Also, the fingerprinting system used in the Audi Avantissimo system for identication for starting and or un-locking the car, was as I understood specifically designed as a concept feature, however, if Audi has now made this system available in the new A8 even more KUDOS, I am certainly not aware of said system in the current A8. But once again, dude, someone has completely misinterpreted my statements not listened ...

And believe me you sir, I've checked out the feature list of the old A8, and S-Class, and the 7 Series, and it definitely was sparse, in comparison to it's friends why do you think I was so irritated by the A8. I wouldn't make statements about the current A8 in comparison with other cars, without, actually doing that comparison. In regards to the old A8 comparison if you think "Check Trunk Cargo Net A8", "Not Available S-Class", or "Check height adjustable seat belt A8", "Not Available S-Class cause seat belt is not designed in the same manner, that it needs to be attached to the B-pillar and move up and down", are something to really brag about so be it. I was more interested in "S-Class Air Suspension", "A8 Not available", "S-Class Rain Sensing Wind Shield Wipers", "A8 Not Available", sir ... I mean you are correct there were things that the A8 had that others didn't have, but I'm talking things that matter, believe me, I would have traded in the Cargo Net in heart beat for the Air Suspension.

As for your other comments, yeah, I'm not interested that VW is positioned to compete with MB, that doesn't mean, Audi can't have the luxury + stellar performance. I'm interested in what Audi is giving me for the dollar, the danero, the yen, not that the VW Pheaton has it. Is Audi giving me my dollars worth, is Audi's car up to snuff. And you are absolutely right, the VW PHEATON IS AN AWESOME CAR, FOR VW's FIRST FORAY INTO THIS MARKET SEGMENT, THEY'VE DONE AN INCREDABLE JOB. But that's neither here nor there, Let ME ONCE AGAIN REITERATE, aside from the visual aspects of the A8, now that I've seen some of the feature list for the A8, AUDI HAS REALLY STEPPED UP THERE GAME CONCERNING THE A8!!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default cool, i'm glad that system from the avantissimo made it into the new A8, A6, ...

yeah, I hope it makes it into the S4 as well,

I to wasn't to keen on the Avantissimo's exterior shape, but the Bi-Xenon lights, I thought were a real keeper, I thought the interior was very clean and made the car look rather spacious, however, some of the abrupt joints and breaks on the dashboard made some parts look piece mealed together as opposed to letting the interior flow together. But perhaps that was the intent. But overall I thought interior looked very luxurious and very innovative.

Also, I like the quad pipes on Avantissimo. But yes, yes, if that finger printing system on the Avantissimo is phat. Yeah, I wish Audi would give us more options on their cars, if we are willing to pay for it, give us the option to buy it, hope the new S4 has it.

My wish list for new S4,
Rain Sensing wind shield, l
ight sensing head lights so they automatically go on off,
Quad tail pipes,
Wide body,
that funky security system
Sirius radio,
18" wheels
360+ HP, we know we are getting the 4.2 just not how much of it
If S4 can steal some of these goodies from it's bigger siblings I'm going to be well happy to drop the estimated $50K loaded price.

Anyword on LCD for US?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Any word on LCD for US?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default New A8 and A6 will most likely have rain sensing wipers

If the new A8 and A6 do receive rain sensing wipers, they will be standard on the new A8 and standard or optional on the new A6 depending on model.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, I'm spying next S4, hope the next S4 will get some of these goodies

I was annoyed that damn jetta could have rain sensing windshield wipers. I ask just give me the option, and I'll give you the dollars.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yup, these pics look much better, ....

Quick Reply: A lot more information regarding the new A8