A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire woes continuing, terrible luck with 50,100 miles on the clock

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire woes continuing, terrible luck with 50,100 miles on the clock

Car has been at our dealer for 3 days. Initially they said nothing is wrong, cold misfires are normal they found nothing out of the ordinary, no misfires even. Then they went to move the car and it misfired badly. More analysis said that fuel was leaking into cyl #2, causing misfire. (the old misfire was 7 and 8) So they order a new injector and replace it. No luck with that. Just got a call from my SM and he tells me they are basically lost, on the phone with various help. Fuel is still being dumped into #2, dont know why. I hope they make this right.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Elder Member

Default Re: "cold misfires are normal"

Sounds like a statement from a totally worthless mechanic. Misfires, cold or otherwise, are absolutely not normal.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default How do they know fuel is being dumped into cylinder #2?

The ECU fires the injector, unless it's firing the thing for a long time or it is stuck open, I don't know what could be happening.

The question is, why do they think it's number 2?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

have they checked the evap valve?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell them to sign up here, we can help them.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i know, right. it's my dad's car and i was listening to the SM and thinking..

i bet audiworld knows more about the car than this fool. he's like "Fred, hang in there, it's gonna be OK" like my dad was gonna flip out or something. funny bc this guy is normally a complete dbag
Old 07-21-2006, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i'm not sure, but they told us something like the injector was leaking, #2 misfiring

I assume that they opened it up and saw visible fuel, but I'm not really an expert on this engine (or any engine internal for that matter). I think I will personally call the tech and have a word with him to see what exactly they are seeing. I'll report back.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

There is a procedure to do a flow test on the injector
Old 07-21-2006, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i am having the same problem...but mine is misfiring on the highway!

the CEL will flash and then the car will stumble all over itself. i pull over, turn it off and on and it runs fine. Those misfires might have something to do with the ignition. I have already replaced all my plugs, my Coilpaks are fine and i got 2 new spark control modules. STILL rough idle and misfires on the highway. Im curious if your problem is ignition related. Mine is in the shop right now as well so i will PROMISE to report my drama and eventual findings to the group to save countless others the trouble i am currently enduring. Good luck with yours
Old 07-21-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Several tests

Using a scope or high quality multimeter they can check the duty cycle of an an injector, i.e the pulses it is getting.

It is also quite easy to do a balance test among cyls to see if they are pulling their own weight. My midrange generic Actron scanner will do this, you just hook it up and sit there.

There are cheap little "noid" lights that will give a rough idea if power is getting to an injector.

Any one injector can do only a limited number of bad things: be blocked by junk, squirt funny, (stream not spray), leak at rest under residual fuel pressure, or not work at all. there could be an on and off problem but checking resistance hot and cold would be a good place to start.

Without some factual indication of an injector problem you need to start by making sure there is compression, no sticking valves, and nota coolant leak that is shorting the plug on cold start.

Quick Reply: Misfire woes continuing, terrible luck with 50,100 miles on the clock