A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. Fixit in West Michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Mr. Fixit in West Michigan?

Planning ahead for spring:
I'm looking for an Audi owner / mechanic, (not a commercial shop) to "help" me do a timing belt / oil cooler leak repair. The belt will be due sometime in spring and perhaps the Aluminum Seal stop leak fix will last til then. (the car is not driven regularly)/ An ideal situation would be someone to do the job "with" me. That means in my garage where it can sit for several days or more while being worked on. I'm pretty handy, but age (73 yrs) and lack of flexibility, bad knees, etc put the job a bit of my own ability. 10 yrs ago, I would have given it a shot.

So,is there someone young (relatively speaking) who is familiar with Audi's, knows his way around a toolbox who might want make a few bucks and gain experience?

Most important, you'd be located in South West Michigan and available to tackle the job after hours, weekends, etc. Specifically, I am located in Holland, MI. You'd have to be a reasonable driving distance from Holland to make it practical,

Speaking of Holland, in late May or June, there is a thing called, "Eurohanger", which is an European car show / event which draws people from all over the midwest. In addition to Eurohanger, SW Michigan is a very nice tourist attraction with beaches on lake MI walking distance from my home. Hotel and motel rates aren't cheap, but you could stay at my house, (even bring spouse along).

If you're interested in any of the above, give me a shout.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find anyone? Also do you have a local indie mechanic for your Audi in western Michigan? Picking up a Q7 and it’s my first Audi so would be nice to have someone to hook me up for half of what the dealer says I need at service appointments lol. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2020, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I will send you a PM
Old 10-05-2020, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I may be a candidate, but there's a caveat. I don't live in Western Michigan, but I do travel there for work often. Covert and Ludington have been popular destinations for me as our company has potential projects in both. I know right where Holland is. I also have done a couple D2 timing belts on my own cars and a friends S8, and I have all the special tools. I did the oil cooler on my A8L this Spring. Not terrible, but a little tricky. I'd highly recommend the aluminum "Bufkin" pipe, you can find him on eBay. Very reasonable! Send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.