A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my a8l is retaining water BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my a8l is retaining water BAD!

hey ppl my 2002 audi a8l is getting water into the dash area and into the car from the front and loves to puddle in the back floor does anybody have any clues of where the drainage is or what could be clogged it isnt the a/c its only when it rains or rains hard PLEASE HELP!!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

HELP HELP !! is right.

If you have verified that it's not the sunroof drains, it's probably the same thing happening in our '06 A6. Water is filling the cowl area due to leaves and year's of other shilt accumulating in there. The water appears to rise and be able to flow thru the firewall and back into the car. Check the cowl area (beneath the windshield) for tons of debris and poor flowing drains...after you verify the sunroof drains are OK.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check this out >>

audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains << Includes cleaning out fresh air plenum rain drains.

Not only will the fresh air plenum drains clog, but if the interior AC drains are clogged, the problem will be MUCH worse...much of the rain overflow can pour into the evaporator housing and drain out the AC drains IF they are not clogged...if they've never been cleaned, they are very likely clogged, which will cause it spill over into the passenger's footwell into central electrics (under passenger's upright footboard) and sometimes right on the driver's right foot.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Water in the cowl area gets high enough to enter the fresh air inlet in the center of your cowl and then gets into the ductwork...which is not water tight, so it leaks around behind the dash too. There are 4 drains in the cowl area - one above each wheel arch (search"pinch your nipples" seriously do it.) and a larger pair under the fresh air inlet panel that drain over the transmission.

The dangerous bit is the engine electrical boxes are also in the passenger's side cowl area; are not watertight, and; will easily get destroyed by water in this area. mine did - search "Das Boat" or das boot or whatever I called it.

Four drains in the cowl controlling external water drainage. Find them, clear them, or suffer the consequences.

You can also remove the rear seat central vent face and shove a necked-down wet/dry shop vac in there to suck out the water. May as well lift the front floor mats and the big heavy carpet underneath to dry them out and get any water in the valleys in the floor.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 10-20-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's another thread - it was easy to clear the drain, go do it now. Also, I used a turkey baster to clear the A/C drains in the front foot-well, that wasn't hard either.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...water-2855696/

Raz
Old 10-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This was a huge problem on my 2001 A8.

I went to the dealer and he wanted to charge me a small fortune to disassemble the car down to the lug nuts (I exaggerate, but not by much. )

I then read a thread on a forum that described how flexible copper tubing, a shop vac and duct tape could take care of the issue. It did! It was nothing short of a miracle.

IMPORTANT... if you haven't already done so, I would suggest reaching out to Audi. If I recall there is some sort of class action on this and I could have sworn I've gotten correspondence about repair and reimbursement from Audi. With that said, I was able to do mine myself, and I am at least 3/4's idiot.

Edited to Add- This is what worked for me. It was a life-saver!!
audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains

Last edited by '03A6-4.2; 10-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Audipages and the other can help with these kind of problems. The dealer will not care, these cars are 13-18 years old.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by thattallguyBAU
hey ppl my 2002 audi a8l is getting water into the dash area and into the car from the front and loves to puddle in the back floor does anybody have any clues of where the drainage is or what could be clogged it isnt the a/c its only when it rains or rains hard PLEASE HELP!!
Just done all mine , you need to get to the two drain holes , which you wont be able to see so have to do it blind, there are 4 no in total around the bulk head

1. Is under the servo unit
2. Is under the central control box
3 hidden behind drivers side (uk) suspension leg , behind metal plate there a drain hole
4 each well around the suspension area are interconnecting and have small holes so as to drain into each other
5 water can be also coming through the cabin filters under the hood insure these are sealed
6 under the wheel arches top rear you will see short rubber tube , squeeze these to insure there unblocked
7 access only available from under the car, there are 2 no tubes coming from on top of the gearbox which come either side , these need to be checked, use flexi hose, these can also be unblocked by removing the carpets surrounding the gearbox , and blowing through the orange tubes.
If you are getting water in through the front then it will fill up the evaporator and clog, in that case you have to do the above.

To do item 1 and 2 , i made up a piece of bend into shape wire and formed a hook and scratched around the deepest point i could find , put a small amount of washing up liquid and some hot water, i then used a air line with an attachment with a 30 deg angle on it and again went in the deepest point, job done