A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Driver's Side Door Trim Coming Off... How To Put Back On?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Driver's Side Door Trim Coming Off... How To Put Back On?

As i was exiting my car my pant leg got caught on the lower trim and it "snapped" outwards a bit. the clip doesn't look like it's broken but I can't get the trim to reconnect to it. Any ideas/info? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Great timing ...

My wife just did the same thing to my baby! The door scraped over the top of the stairs from the garage to the house and she forced the issue, rather than gently lifting the car (OK, this sounds like I'm married to the Hulk, lol, but oyu know what I mean by lifting the car ever so slightly) and slowly closing the door.

I tried to force it back on for a while and finally just got it lined up right and it snapped back in. You do have to use quite a bit more force than I expected.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: My Driver's Side Door Trim Coming Off... How To Put Back On?

This is the part number for the clip :4D0-867-299-D there are about 8 in the rear door. I haven't seen the front but assume there might be even more, they cost around $1.40 each at the dealer. Be very careful not to snap the good ones while pulling the door panel, you might end up replacing more than one. I have tried the same and ended replacing all of them
I think there is a plastic tool in the toolkit to remove the broken locks from the door frame before inserting the new clips to the door panel.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Fixed Driver's Side Door Trim From Coming Off.

I had been fighting this same issue for a long time. I would snap it back on and then it would pop back out. I finally took the time to fix it by removing the two screws that hold it on from the inside of the door. The screws are hidden under rubber plugs at each end of the door.

Once you remove the two screws you will be able to slid the trim strip towards the back of the car. When you put the trim strip back on, carefully slide it over each clip until it is lined up with the bolt holes.

Jeff B