A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Problem 01 s8

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Problem 01 s8

I am baffled! And so, about 3 weeks ago, all of a sudden the car started over heating by one extra line (not the normal fat line 2/3 of the way up but go to the next in the middle) and would not go over, get out on the highway, more air flow would drop back, stop and go up. A week later got progressively worse, the car started over heating, by two lines and so on in 10-30 min of drivening, increase in air flow did not help, any more neither did the heater...... New water pump, 30k ago, new fan clutch in April (works fine), no codes. First tought Termostat (which idiot stuck it under the timing belt I do not know WHY) Long story short changed the termostat and completely flushed the radiator while it was off, new antifreeze! Pt every thing back together and ......... it went back to over heating by oonly one line as it all begun, have been driving it for a week put about 300 mile on it no change and it fluctuates between the normal temperature (line and the next one)!!?? Any thoughts will help Thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car overheated a couple of years ago. Prior to that it had always been rock solid at 90, but since then has been stable at 100. I might have it investigated this weekend, as I'm at a mechanic mates open day, but it doesn't bother me too much as it doesn't change.

I do keep a closer eye on my fluids now though, particularly the the oil, as this was my original problem.

If you use tiptronic a lot, try not using it and seeing what difference that makes
Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd guess a gradually increasing loss of radiator flow.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

It could be the temperature sensor going bad..
Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebessxxx
I am baffled! And so, about 3 weeks ago, all of a sudden the car started over heating by one extra line (not the normal fat line 2/3 of the way up but go to the next in the middle) and would not go over, get out on the highway, more air flow would drop back, stop and go up. A week later got progressively worse, the car started over heating, by two lines and so on in 10-30 min of drivening, increase in air flow did not help, any more neither did the heater...... New water pump, 30k ago, new fan clutch in April (works fine), no codes. First tought Termostat (which idiot stuck it under the timing belt I do not know WHY) Long story short changed the termostat and completely flushed the radiator while it was off, new antifreeze! Pt every thing back together and ......... it went back to over heating by oonly one line as it all begun, have been driving it for a week put about 300 mile on it no change and it fluctuates between the normal temperature (line and the next one)!!?? Any thoughts will help Thanks.
You may need to change your radiator. You see, when the car was under the dealer 50K mile free maintenance program, there was no service to the cooling system. The radiator fluid may have gelled and the radiator could be getting bad.

Same with transmission fluids. No change at all during those 50K mile dealer maintenance. This is why, I believe, lots of people have transmission problems as well.