A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Problem in 1998 S8

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:47 AM
psr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Problem in 1998 S8

I have a 98 S8 with the standard navigation system (i.e. not NavPlus).

When I enter my current location as the destination it tells me I am over 800 miles away and if I select GPS Data from the menu it gives a blank screen rather than the usual 7 of 8 satellites.

Also VAG-COM seems to be unable to communicate with the Navigation system through option 37, but perhaps that is normal with the older systems.

Anyone know what the problem might be before I start dismantling the car? I was wondering about the antenna.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like the GPS antenna is not getting signal

I do not know how the base system works, but i would check to see if there is a conneciton problem in the truck near the antenna. If that dosent work then i would look to see if there is a fuse blown that powers the gps system, i wonder if there is a separate fuse.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Have you tried another location? 98 S8? Europe?

I have an S4 with standard Nav. Try the nav at a place that you know you have used the Map CD at and it worked. I know if some streets roads etc are not on the map, it will wig out big time. (the map cd has no clue how to get a certain location) I found a huge hole in the map data cd near where I live. If I try to route to a place near the hole, it will tell me I am several Hundred miles away. I drive on roads that are not on the map, the sats I think appear. (not sure havent checked that before---will next time I drive through an area that has a hole) I get closer to the location it will then normalize the distance.

Also keep in mind if you cant get any satalites make sure your not near some place which has a lot of radio signals. Keep in mind GPS is just a radio receiver, (a weak one at that) that is using somewhat precise info on the time it takes to receive a radio signal from a sat. Based on that time with 3 or more sats, it can triangulate your position. If you ever get down to 2, or 1 or no sats, then your SOL because the system has no clue where your at and will just start randomly guessing away hence your screwed up miles.

I know I've driven past places like military bases and my gps has just died, and then my destination miles have gone totally wack.

Try in a difference spot. Also try a different disc, or make a copy of your own disc, and try the copy. (a scratch can sometimes mess things up as well)
Old 05-04-2004, 01:49 PM
psr

Default Discovered the problem - broken antenna wire - not sure of the solution.

Thanks.

I found that the wire from the antenna is broken where it comes out of the boot lid. It is some kind of screened wire so I'm not sure how to fix it. Joining the core together seems to do nothing. Is there a correct way to join this sort of cable?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From what you describe....

It might be a coax type of cable.. the core is a solid wire but the negative or ground is a wire mesh that surrounds it?

Try connecting the core and also connecting the screened wire to its equivalent on the other side of the broken connection..
Old 05-05-2004, 08:13 AM
psr

Default I think I need a professional

It's like a television aerial lead. There is a copper core surrounded by fairly thick plastic and then the mesh wire surrounds that.

I connected both wires and have gone from a blank screen when I ask for GPS Data to "0 of 25 satellites". So that's progress, but I think I need a professional to join it for me.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default thats like a cable tv wire......

read the side of the wire. Call the stealer find out how much a new cable is. they tell you an arm leg and a left (insert body part) Get some catv wire, 2 female to female connetors 4 male connectors and hook it all together like your exending a catv line.