A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new A8 - A new sporting dimension in the luxury segment

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As nice as a new A4 that ate its Wheaties.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. It is the only thing I dislike about the interior. But it's a big one!
Old 09-03-2002, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

YYYAAAWWWWNN!!!!
Old 09-03-2002, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Your kidding right, MB S Class is 4 years old, and still ahead and that's sad?

S-Class turns heads, the A8, turns nothing aside from wheels. I haven't seen one in person as of yet, perhaps, my opinion will change then. But then again the old A8 wasn't much of a head turner either.

And no A8 is touching S Class luxury, I'm sorry, I love Audi, but I got to keep it real. MB is a step ahead of everyone when it comes to luxury, although, VW is trying to make a move, the Pheaton is quite impressive, and u can definitely tell, that VW looked at the S Class when they made it, right down to those silly turn signals that appear on the side mirrors.

The A8 better then the S, not. Faster, no, ... 2003 S600 4.6 0-60. W12 A8? 4.6 hardly, the question is will the S8 even be that quick. I wonder if the AMG S55 will now be like 4.2 0-60, now that's sick quick. I hate the 3 pointed star, but I give props where props are due, and the S Class wins this battle, sorry, A8.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:17 AM

Default You need to park your Saturn and spend some time in Germany. The current 8 is the only Audi model

that garnishes respect from the mainstream German population. MB makes trucks and cabs. Maybe someday when you actually drive an Audi, your opinion will hold some merit. Being a virtual German car fan must be a miserable life.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What is that supposed to mean?
Old 09-03-2002, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

S class cars are a dime a dozen (especially in Chicago), how often do you see an A8?
Old 09-03-2002, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the question is not whether they are a dime a dozen, the question is it better!!!

That's what Auto Union was implying the A8 is better than the S, and as much as I'm an audi fan, I beg to differ, and I'm no advocate of the MB, in fact I abhor those 3 pointed star by virtue of snobbery that I associate with that car, but like I said, I'm keeping it real- The S has and is continuing to be better than the A8. The feature list on the MB is far more extensive, I would of have given performance to the Audi, but the new S600 pretty much negated it, feel free to compare the S600 to the W12 A8, also, feel free to compare what you think the old or new S8 will be to the AMG S55, and I'm sorry to say it, but MB comes out on top. You may hate it, you may not want it to be so, but it is what it is, based on the numbers, only thing the Audi has going for it, is it is cheaper, $80K compared to $125K, but when talking about this class of car who cares about price.

And to answer so what, I don't see alot Pinto's gracing the road does that mean it's a better car than the A8. If anything, you don't see alot of A8's on the road for a reason, it's not because people don't know about them, it's because people know better.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default how do you know I've never been to germany, and secondly don't have german friends!!! Funny

my german companion and I were having this very discussion the other day. As she explained it, when, Germans think luxury they think Mercedes, just like we think it, over here. Exclude, R & R, Bently, and some of the outrageously luxurious cars. And I've found germans are far more knowledgeable about the cars they drive. Just because MB makes trucks, and cabs, and you'll find cloth interiors over there, does not mean, the Germans see MB as some Honda utilitarian brand, they from my understanding and conversations see it as a car Manufacturer who makes some of the most luxurious cars on the road.

Similarly, they, think Audi and BMW less luxurious and more sport. However, MB has certainly caught up in the sport department, look, at AMG brands and a S600 that does 0-60 in 4.6. Sorry, think, what you want Audi is gonna have to add about $20K worth of gizmo's and gadgets if it really wants the A8 to be as luxurious as the S- and that's the bottom line.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I disagree

I can't rebutt your comments or features, don't know that much about the car. But I can tell you that it doesn't have quattro which is very nice in rain and snow (even dry pavement) and I feel that the interiors of the A8 look a lot better than the S class. My opinion though, everybody has there own.

Cost is a concern, and when buying a used car (I can't afford one of these new, or if I did, I wouldn't have money for other things) the Audi A8 is a spectacular value! The Mercedes hold there value much better than Audi's, I don't think it's because it's a far better car, just one that is marketed better and has a longer reputation.

I like your comments, but I am an Audi guy. The new A8 is stunning! The old A8 is too, and people all the time come up to me and ask what kind of car it is, and if they know it's an Audi, they ask what model it is.....it's a beautiful machine!

pw

Quick Reply: The new A8 - A new sporting dimension in the luxury segment