A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new A8L in Northwest Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new A8L in Northwest Indiana

Local dealer just got one in this week. Very stylish car. Has the low profile tires on (I think 20" rims). Great lines and a few suprises.
Audi has finally put a timer on the headlights, so you don't have to remember to turn tham off when you leave the car. I think they are the last manufacturer to do so.
The mirrors in the sun visors were quite a suprise to me. There are two mirrors. slide one way it is a regular mirror, and the other way it becomes magnified - embarrased me to see that my proboscus had some nasty hairs hangin out of it! Not sure I need the mirror, but it should be something the lady folks will enjoy, hpefully when they are not driving.
Was somewhat dissapointed that the GPS system still shows only four streets in my hometown. Even though it is all on one DVD disk. The mapping that is provided in the Lexus (sorry for the obscenity) is far superior. The dash sure is neater than the old one and I do sorta like the touch screen concept on the '04 Audi.

Oh yeah, the trunk space seems a little bigger than last years model, which it needed.

Can't wait to get one, but the better half has put a leash on both me and my wallet for the time being - seeing I just got my '03 last Fall. Guess I can wait and see what the new owners have to say about the new car, for now - and drool!

On a scale of 1-10, it's definitely a 9.89 in my estimation.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: new A8L in Northwest Indiana

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I don't know if the front seat articulating bottom was available on prior models, but thought that was a great upgrade too.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:45 PM

Default Re: new A8L in Northwest Indiana

There is not a touchscreen in the car. I find the entry of addresses in the Navigation unit a paing. You have to turn the MMI wheel to the proper letter and push down. Though it shows fingerprints, the Lexus touch screen system is much faster and easier to use for entries.

The car should (and according to the owners manual) have "auto on lights." They seem to be the only luxury or semi-luxury vehicle to not have them. The dealer is trying to figure our why, or if perhaps there is a way to set it in service, but so far no luck.