A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

Hey all! I just recently purchased my first Audi (1999 A8 4.2L), and thought joining up here might be a good idea. I'm near Kenosha, WI and don't see many Audis around. I just picked the car up on Saturday (20th) for $3,500.00, with very little service/vehicle/owner history (130K miles, Automanual). Carfax proved it to be a 3-owner (me=4th) somewhat local (WI/IL) car. It has a steady (not gushing) oil leak near the front passenger side (I'm guessing stripped drain plug maybe?)and is otherwise somewhat oil-soaked underneath, but only mostly around the engine. The rear diff seems to be leaking a little from the input shaft and the axle seals. Trans seems ok, P/S pump makes a little noise on cold start, when turning to back out of my driveway. Central locking seems non-existent, although the fob "locks & unlocks" the vehicle, there is no action at the doors. Moonroof (sunroof? I forget the diff.) likes to vent and close at seemingly it's own will from time to time. Headrests don't move by push button, and so on and so forth as I'm sure is the case with a 14 year old luxury import with a sketchy past... The positives? It cleaned up really well, rides and shifts smoothly, xenons all work, wheels in good shape, doesn't feel like it's going to break down (where's some wood..?) and the body and paint are in very good shape (pearl white).

I'm 32, have two young sons and an understanding wife. I'm not independently wealthy, can turn wrenches, but will mostly lean on a trusted mechanic due to a total lack of time. I'm admittedly a Bimmer guy, but Audis, to me, have always been like that girl across the room who I was too afraid to talk to. Well, I had a couple shots of liquid courage and went right up and poured my heart out to her, didn't I? So, here I am introducing myself, and hoping to meet and talk to all of you!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, but if you don't intend doing your own repairs, you better find a way to become independently wealthy.

Your guess of a stripped oil drain plug is probably a pretty bad guess (wrong location). Considering your year engine (32V with external oil pump drive), your oil leak is much more likely the oil pump bearing seal...not much money in parts, if you do it yourself...get a Bentley Manual...no online instructions for this. A mechanic will charge a small fortune, since it involves removing the timing belt...involved procedure requiring some special tools.

I won't even touch on the other problems yet. These cars are wonderful to drive and totally unique, esp compared to a Bimmer (no thank you). BUT, they go for bargain prices for a reason...repairs done by anyone other than yourself will cost you more than you paid for the car...sorry.

If you want to keep it, get a Bentley manual, VagCom, a few tools and find the time! Otherwise, either get used to oil leaks and odd behavior or be a very unhappy camper.

Other than that, welcome to the monkey house
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Or I could do my own repairs...

Originally Posted by silverd2
Sorry, but if you don't intend doing your own repairs, you better find a way to become independently wealthy.

Your guess of a stripped oil drain plug is probably a pretty bad guess (wrong location). Considering your year engine (32V with external oil pump drive), your oil leak is much more likely the oil pump bearing seal...not much money in parts, if you do it yourself...get a Bentley Manual...no online instructions for this. A mechanic will charge a small fortune, since it involves removing the timing belt...involved procedure requiring some special tools.

I won't even touch on the other problems yet. These cars are wonderful to drive and totally unique, esp compared to a Bimmer (no thank you). BUT, they go for bargain prices for a reason...repairs done by anyone other than yourself will cost you more than you paid for the car...sorry.

If you want to keep it, get a Bentley manual, VagCom, a few tools and find the time! Otherwise, either get used to oil leaks and odd behavior or be a very unhappy camper.

Other than that, welcome to the monkey house
You sure do say sorry a lot. Not sure what you're apologizing for...

For right now, based on my current allotment of time, she's gonna have to go in to get properly diag'd. I don't have convenient access to a lift, so I'll have to have him get me started. Bentley is on order as we speak, and I just need to place my order with Ross-Tech. Timing should (in my opinion) be done as a matter of course with a vehicle w/o history, so I guess that makes the oil pump seal easier...

I plan on a full tune-up for her, almost regardless. Found a vendor on here (ECS Tuning), and was wondering if they were reliable. I need a bunch of stuff most likely, and I see they price some stuff as packages. Any other vendors out there that people prefer?

Please keep the suggestions/tips/potential areas of concern coming, as it's all very helpful!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ECS is dependable, BUT the HIGHEST possible price you can pay for most (esp OEM...full dealer price) parts. ANYONE else is cheaper.

Try these:

PartsGeek

Genuineaudiparts.com

AutohausAZ

KOPerformance

Blauparts

eEuroparts

Just shop for any part and look at the price difference.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your first Audi. Some answers and useful info:

Passenger side oil leak:
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/76188.phtml

Link to common problems:
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/15068.phtml

Audipages:
http://www.audipages.com/index.html

Cheers!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info, I'll be researching many things over the next week or so. Like I said earlier, the mechanic will get first crack at it to give me an idea of what's what, and then I'll tear into it myself.

There was mention of special tools... Does anyone have a link to or list of, handy? If I'm gonna keep 'er for awhile, better get what I need now. And I mean ANY special tools for these vehicles. I'll just file away the info and buy them as I need them.

First and foremost though: fluid changes/flushes, fresh engine seals, trans filter, ignition tune-up, TB, fuel filter, and any major things the mechanic may spot.

The nice thing is, she's only really wet under the engine compartment. The rest of the vehicle looks to be dry. The CV boots look good all the way around, inner and outer. She had EVAP codes stored when I got her, but I cleared them and they have yet to come back, so we'll see. I'll keep y'all posted as thigns progress. Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Roboito
Thanks for the info, I'll be researching many things over the next week or so. Like I said earlier, the mechanic will get first crack at it to give me an idea of what's what, and then I'll tear into it myself.

There was mention of special tools... Does anyone have a link to or list of, handy? If I'm gonna keep 'er for awhile, better get what I need now. And I mean ANY special tools for these vehicles. I'll just file away the info and buy them as I need them.

First and foremost though: fluid changes/flushes, fresh engine seals, trans filter, ignition tune-up, TB, fuel filter, and any major things the mechanic may spot.

The nice thing is, she's only really wet under the engine compartment. The rest of the vehicle looks to be dry. The CV boots look good all the way around, inner and outer. She had EVAP codes stored when I got her, but I cleared them and they have yet to come back, so we'll see. I'll keep y'all posted as thigns progress. Thanks again!
About special tools: Most tools needed are listed by number in Bentley procedures...you can then reference the number in Google and find suppliers online, all way cheaper than the original Vag tools used at dealers...same functions though. Tools needed for timing belt change, since they're only used once every 80-100K miles, can be rented from some online dealers and even a couple of forum members.

As for trans fluid/filter, the opinions vary. Many agree that if, at 130K miles, the fluid has never been changed and there are no shifting issues, leave it alone. Most agree that a "power" flush of ANY kind is a terrible idea...just a drain and filter change does the trick, if you're gonna service it. Many even believe that on an older trans, never serviced before, that a filter change & reuse of old fluid is not the worst idea, to avoid "waking a sleeping dog".

The trans's are the biggest sore spot on D2's...especially pre-facelift models (97-99)...unfortunately, many take a dump between 130-180K miles (rebuild required..big $$$), no matter when or if the atf/filter was done.

As for "ignition tune up": Nothing to do there but fresh plugs. Timing can not be adjusted and if there are no misfire codes, there is nothing be gained by changing coils or ignition modules..they either work or they do not. IMO, new coils do NOT fire any stronger than old ones. If there is any issue with coils or even injectors, you will get a misfire code.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock Auto is a great source of suspension parts, and many other parts for the D2's.

I love these cars, but they can put some serious holes in your wallet.

Then again, so can any car.