A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 1999 CPO A8 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) 1999 CPO A8 (long)

I love my new A8. Bought it CPO. It's a black/grey 99 with 56,000 miles. I bought the car last Saturday morning. Drove it home (300 miles) and noticed there was some body damage to the drivers door. Very bottom of the vertical edge - looks like someone opened the door real hard into a concrete median or something. Rolled the trailing edge of the door back. I was just sick. I know it wasn't me becasue I never even got out of the car until I was in my own driveway. I didn't hit anything nor was I hit by anything on the way down. The only way to do this damage was for someone to open the door very, very hard into something.

Since this was a long distance deal - I had an Audiworld member inspect the car for me pre-purchase. He noted no damage. I had the salesman send me a bunch of digital pictures he personally took of the car before I drove up. No damage. I show up first thing Sat morning with check in hand, my trade ready to go, and all the terms worked out. I looked the car over good & drove it, but did not pour over the car since it was a CPO car and I spent many hours looking at the pics, plus a knowledegeable forum member graciously spent a lot of time with the car. I was exitied to get behind the wheel and must not have noticed the damaged door. The A8 is a visual and veseral feast - so it's easy to miss something.

The Audi CPO report shows no body damage noted as I'm sure there was no way this would pass the certification with this type of damage. I called and emailed the dealer first thing monday morning and even sent them 4 pictures showing the damage. No response. They are just blowing me off.

Any suggestions? The car is otherwise great. I had a reputable body shop in town do an estimate of $600 to repair the door. They are good with Aluminum and are charging me accordingly for the extra time needed to fix it.

I'll bet sometime during the time between when the Audiworld Forum member looked the car over, and when I picked it up (4 days) that someone either while test driving it or one of the lot workers whacked the door and didn't tell anyone. It's low enough that it is hard to see, until you see it once - and now it looks HUGE.

Any advice is appreciated. I did give them a deposit of $500 with my credit card to hold the car for me, so I have $500 of the purchase price on my card, which I can dispute and is ironically very close to the estimate. Should I just go that route? Should I involve Audi since this was a CPO car?