A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh God, now I'm really screwed...Car just up and died while I was driving it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh God, now I'm really screwed...Car just up and died while I was driving it.

I think I'm cursed (or at least the car is). The other day, the rough idle problems came back (the #4 fuel injector was replaced and all was good...for a little while). Hopefully that issue is under warranty from the shop (okay, i can understand that maybe i got a bad part). However today, as I was driving, the car just crapped the bed. Luckily i was driving locally, so it wasn't a big deal getting it towed, but when it died it was very sudden. I did hear a small "pop" sound right before it died, and now it's got the red battery light on, as well as the CEL. The car will crank, but not turn over, and there is power to the electrical system. I'm guessing maybe the accessory belt snapped? Anyone care to fathom a guess? And if it was indeed the acc belt, what's it cost to repair one of those things?

Unfortunately I was unable to VAG the car before it got towed to the repair shop, so I have no idea exactly what it going on. Ugh.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not serp belt IMO. That is more a slow(ish) lingering death. Codes would be good.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Fuel Pump? (Doesn't fit the "Pop" noise, however...)
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Yeah, now that I think about it, I did see it was still intact when I peeked into the engine

compartment. So what else would cause the engine to choke but not turn over? Blown alternator?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Yeah, and it definately came from the engine compartment- driver's side, i believe.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We need to see the codes.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the only part needed

In the charging system is a good battery.

Alternators, and their drive belts only serve to restore the stored electrical POWER that is available from the battery.

Now if the battery is not charged enough, the voltage will fall and the electronic "brain" will fail to tell the spark to spark and the injectors to inject.

Low battery condition can be due to alternator difficulties, drive belt failure, or wiring problems. Or, It may be time for a new battery.

You would have seen the idiot light on if the charge system was at fault.

Look elsewhere.

CalG
Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dont panic -sounds like it may be related to the recent injector issue

Best to wait for diagnosis-you may have a short that caused the injector to fail and now with that fixed and a strong part installed the real issue may become apparent at the main fault.
Wait and see -pour a large scotch and relax-it is only a car after all-[I cant believe I just said that]
Old 08-13-2008, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We need a snazzy acronym on that, along the lines of TPIWWP.

TPIWWFC? (Fault Codes)

TPIWWVCFC? (VAG-COM Fault Codes)
Old 08-13-2008, 05:42 AM

Default LOL...well, I'll be swinging by the shop after work today, so hopefully I can pull the codes then.

Stay tuned, this should be an interesting one...

Quick Reply: Oh God, now I'm really screwed...Car just up and died while I was driving it.