A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level sensor - "sensor" nagging problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level sensor

Hi all had this issue on my a4 2.0 tdi B7 with a yellow light as an oil can and sensor. I found another link to this and it was fuse #5 ..which is located in the panel on the end of the driver side dash ( open door and the end of dash pops off) it was a red 10 amp mini blade fuse. Replaced this and it still showed up, so disconnected battery for a few seconds and connected earth back on started car and it stayed off please check this fuse before buying a new sensor! ..Please note ESP light may come on Tash after disconnecting the battery , however drive straight for 100vft or so and this will go back off ..hope this helps someone
Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issu with my 2000 3.3 tdi. The strange thing is that it will not go off every time. I have days where i start my car and there is no warning light, but the next start or next day it pops up again. No fault codes found in VAG... Will surely check out the fuse...
Old 05-24-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by EvilC
I have the same issu with my 2000 3.3 tdi. The strange thing is that it will not go off every time. I have days where i start my car and there is no warning light, but the next start or next day it pops up again. No fault codes found in VAG... Will surely check out the fuse...
Just to make you aware it doesn't say the fuse is for the oil level sensor it was for - fuse number 5 - 10amp (red)..telephone, multi-function switch, maintenance monitor ...that's what it says on the fuse box lid, not sure if it's the same on your model ..might be worth trying a new fuse if the same ..but after changing fuse disconnect battery for a minute. I believe this resets ECU..otherwise check wiring on the sensor on bottom of sump (my model) ..
Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Guyzza75
Just to make you aware it doesn't say the fuse is for the oil level sensor it was for - fuse number 5 - 10amp (red)..telephone, multi-function switch, maintenance monitor ...that's what it says on the fuse box lid, not sure if it's the same on your model ..might be worth trying a new fuse if the same ..but after changing fuse disconnect battery for a minute. I believe this resets ECU..otherwise check wiring on the sensor on bottom of sump (my model) ..
Thanks, i think it is the same fuse. Will post the outcome.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So,
@ Guyzza75,

Many thanks to you for sharing the fuse post. After checking my car i found a 5 amp fuse that is connected to the oil level sensor. (In my car it said "Oil Level Sensor" in the discription. Fuse nr 8 on the blue bank) And yes it was bad. After replacing it the error message was cleared after taking out th battery for some time.

Very glad to not have to spend money on a new sensor.

Last edited by EvilC; 05-28-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i bought a 2003 a4 b6 3.0L quattro 140k on it , in the beggining the min oil level inidicator would come and seemingly rightfully so as the oil would barely be on the tip of the dip stick , it wasnt burning oil just leaking out front seals valve covers etc. not knowing the history of the car and being at 140k i took upon myself to do the timing belt ... wooo that was fun .. cam seals, water pump. pulley , pullley pulley.... valve cover gaskets front mount list goes on etc etc etc ... i thought the car ran ok before but omg obviously something wasnt right before. having had the valve covers off got to see that valve train looked great no sludge or build up of any kind and what do ya know im not putting a quart of oil into it every week ..then again had only been driving it for two weeks after all the maintenence ... well anyway couldnt have been doing more than 5mph was in process of parrallel parking anywho funny little dip , a man hole cover and a large root that had push up a little bounce bounce and BAM!!! i didnt want to look didnt want to know i just parked it shut the engine off and waited for the person i was there to pick up ... well wasnt long couple girls walked by .... excuse me sir ummm there something coming from your car ....needless to say AAA towed home and thank god it was just the oil pan ordered one on ebay actually was not hard to change ....damn synthetic oil and filter was what was expensive ...min level light come on i add oil light goes off ..... till one night added oil before i left and after 40 miles light came on again i was thinking the worst come to find oil level is fine ..... is it possible that its the aftermarket oil pan that is making the sensor wig out ...... ?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by audinutt
For the record Meyle is not good or solid, it is questionable at best.. NEVER on any of my vehicles.

-Richard
Meyle IS good and solid. But with respect to the oil level/temp sensor ONLY the HELLA (OEM) works reliably.